LIVESTRONG Fitness in the News
Even though the cold weather is setting in, that doesn't mean your exercise routine should suffer. If anything, you should get more motivated to work your body out and beat the winter blues! Here are some of the most effective exercises you can incorporate into your daily life, courtesy of WebMD and ShapeFit.com.
1. Walking. Believe it or not, simply walking is a great form of cardiovascular exercise, and it's a lot less strenuous than other types. It strengthens your heart and burns calories, and the best part is that you don't need any expensive equipment to do it. Just walk out your door and go for a brisk walk. You can burn up to 500 calories per hour, and adding hills or short periods of jogging can make it even more effective.
2. Interval training. This simply means switching up your pace during your exercise routine. It stimulates your body to adapt to the changing speeds, which can strengthen your muscles and help you lose more weight. Push yourself harder than normal for a couple of minutes, then take a longer break period before pushing yourself again.
3. Bicycling. Whether you're on a machine at the gym or are riding around outside, biking is a great form of cardio. It all depends on your resistance and speed, but you could burn anywhere from 250 to 500 calories in 30 minutes.
4. Squats. Strength training is important for your muscles, and squats work many of the ones in your legs - a lot more than other moves. Your form is key - you need to keep your back straight and your feet shoulder-width apart as you bend your knees and lower your rear.
5. Push-ups. If you do these with the right technique, they can strengthen many muscle groups at once, even affecting your core. Make sure your hands are slightly father than shoulder-width apart and create a perfect diagonal line with your body. Keep your torso straight while you bend your elbows and lower yourself. You can always make it harder once you master the basic move.
As long as you're making a point to move every day and remain active in your life, you should be getting enough exercise to keep your body healthy. Remember to drink plenty of water during your workout routine and throughout the day to stay hydrated, and be sure you're wearing the right type of athletic shoes. Also, don't forget to use a LIVESTRONG Fitness promotion code to get great discounts on workout equipment that can get you back into shape faster!