There may be nothing better than receiving a bouquet of fresh flowers as a gift. A vibrant display will add color and scent to any room, but in order to ensure that the benefits last, you need to keep your bouquets looking fresh for as long as possible. Instead of throwing out your beautiful arrangement a couple of days after you receive it, use these tips for flowers that last.
1. If you need to cut your flowers to fit into a vase, use clean scissors or a clean knife to do so. Leftover dirt on the blades can lead to early decay. Be sure they're rinsed of any soap, which could potentially affect the pH of the water.
2. Don't let any of the leaves soak in the vase water. This could lead to a lot of bacteria build-up, which can travel to the rest of the flowers and cut down on their lifespans.
3. Change the water whenever it looks cloudy and add in fresh flower food, which was likely supplied along with the flowers in your bouquet. These nutrients will give your flowers everything they need to stay healthy while keeping bacteria at bay. If your bouquet didn't come with food, a local flower shop will likely have what you're looking for.
4. Your florist is likely to know this, but if you mix certain flowers, like daffodils, with other flowers without letting them soak on their own for a few hours - there could be disastrous consequences. Blossoms such as this produce a sap that can block other stems from absorbing water. Just don't try adding any other flowers into your bouquet unless you research first!
5. If your bouquet hasn't bloomed yet or there are a few flowers which refuse to budge, try opening them up by placing them in very warm water.
6. Freshen up any wilting or drooping flowers by putting them in cold water for a few hours.
7. Every few days, cut the stems about 3/4 of an inch. This will ensure your blooms have the best opportunity to absorb water.
8. Snip all of the stems at a 45-degree angle in order to maximize water absorption.
9. Store your bouquet in a cool area. If you put them near heaters or on an appliance that gets hot, they'll be more likely to wilt faster.
10. Keep your flowers away from fresh fruit, which releases a tiny amount of ethylene gas that can make your blooms droopy.
If you follow all of these tips, your flowers will be looking fresh for days! However, if an accident does happen or your flowers just don't make it, a 1 Stop Florists promotion code can make for an easier second purchase.
Previous: Buying the perfect bed for your sleeping habits
Next: Pet-proofing your home