When it comes to composing an epic crime masterpiece, few directors are more successful than the great Martin Scorsese. Though his body of work includes many incredible films outside of the crime genre, Scorsese seems to returns to stories featuring gangsters and cops competing for dominance time and again. Now you can experience some of his crime masterpieces with Barnes and Noble Keycodes.
Starring Ray Liotta, Robert DeNiro and Joe Pesci, 1990's GoodFellas details the life of Henry Hill (Liotta), a member of the Lucchese crime family between 1955 and 1980. The story was inspired by Nicholas Pileggi's Wiseguy, a nonfiction account of the real life mobster Henry Hill. The story follows Hill from his childhood in Brooklyn and into his later life as he rises through the ranks of the Mafia and becomes involved with the drug trade. Hill is flanked by his two friends Jimmy Conway (DeNiro) and Tommy DeVito (Pesci) as they plot a variety of small time scams and major heists. The movie also pays particular attention to Hill's wife, Karen, and their marriage forms the central plot, as the two struggle through the ups and downs of living in a crime family.
GoodFellas was nominated for six Oscars, including Best Picture and Best Director, however only Joe Pesci won for Best Supporting Actor. GoodFellas is considered to be a Mafia movie classic, among the ranks of the Godfather and the Godfather: Part II.
Focusing on the Irish mob in South Boston, 2006's The Departed was inspired by the 2002 Hong Kong film, Infernal Affairs. The movie features an ensemble cast comprised of Leonardo DiCaprio, Matt Damon, Jack Nicholson, Alec Baldwin, Mark Wahlberg and Martin Sheen. The film won several Academy Awards including Best Picture and Best Director.
The Departed follows mob boss Frank Costello (Nicholson) and his close associate Colin Sullivan (Damon), whom Costello hires to infiltrate the Massachusetts State Police. Meanwhile, a young cadet named Billy Costigan (DiCaprio) is given a special assignment to go undercover in Costello's crime outfit. As the two double agents work their way further into their guises, lines begin to blur surrounding their true identities and they become involved in a game of cat and mouse to root the other out.
If you're an artist, you may have already exhausted the different mediums available, like pastels, acrylic paints, oil paints, watercolors and pen and ink. While these methods of creating masterpieces are all fun, sometimes it's nice to try something new.
In today's digital world, there are tons of opportunities and programs on the computer that can help you create digital works of art to be displayed in a number of ways - not just on the internet. One way you could start getting involved in computer graphics and graphic design is with an Adobe coupon code.
An Adobe promotion code can get you all kinds of deals, from 80 percent off the Student and Teacher Editions, to 50 percent off Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3. While the Adobe creative suite has everything you need to get started, the packages can be pretty expensive. An Adobe coupon code can make your digital art dreams an affordable reality. With the program, you can create all kinds of art. Here are just a few ideas to consider.
Whether you own a company or know someone else who does, advertising and marketing is important for success. If you get yourself familiar with the Adobe programs, you can create all kinds of things for businesses, like logos, portfolios, flyers, pamphlets, mailings and even posters. You could make an entire career out of it!
With Adobe Photoshop, you can transform the look of any picture and make it as unique, detailed and compelling as you want. You can enhance pictures that you take, alter pictures that other people have taken or create entirely new pictures but cutting and pasting different elements together digitally.
Buildings and landscapes
If you're into architecture, consider using the Adobe products to design your own buildings and spaces. You could even use Photoshop to create upgraded cities or come up with new ideas. If you're really creative, you could even come up with a cool design theme for your house - all on the computer.
If you're a writer, Adobe can help you come up with a layout for your very own magazine. You can pick where the pictures and words go and how everything will look once it's printed. The process is easy and who knows, you may be able to generate some interest and actually make your publishing ideas come to life!
The possibilities really are endless, and your limits are only held back by your imagination. Use an Adobe promotion code, and you'll be a graphic design pro in no time!
A piece of art doesn't have to cost you thousands of dollars, and it doesn't have to be the work of a famous artist either. If you have a creative edge, why not create something yourself? It could be a beautiful painting that you can hang on the wall for added visual appeal, or it could be a sculpture that you can place on an accent table.
For a beautiful painting, you can easily get some tips online that you can use to create a one-of-a-kind wall art. Of course, you have to assess your skills and apply the right techniques for your work, whether you're looking to create something abstract or even painting a portrait. When it comes to the equipment, all you need is a canvas, and depending on your preference, you can opt for watercolor, pastel or paint. To save on your purchases, make sure to check out a Canvas on Demand Promotion Code.
If you prefer sculpting, you can start off by creating paper mache masterpieces using strips of paper and glue or a cornstarch and water mixture. Get inspired with your surroundings and opt for an object that you can easily sculpt with the paper. Once the sculpture dries, you can paint over it for some added effect.
Art for your home doesn't have to break the bank. In fact, creating your own pieces are not only inexpensive, it can also be a fun activity that can even turn into a newfound hobby. Before you know it, you're creating works of art not only for yourself but for your family and friends as well.
Buying a piece of artwork to beautify your home can be quite expensive. In fact, as of 2006, the most expensive painting ever sold was Jackson Pollock's Number 5, which was purchased by a private buyer for a staggering price of $140 million, according to The Art Wolf. If you don't have $100 million or even $1,000 to spend, why not flex your creative muscles and design a one-of-a-kind masterpiece yourself?
If it's your own home that you're living in (or if your landlord's cool enough), why not paint a mural to act as an accent wall in your space? For a chic and contemporary work, opt for a monochromatic art by using just one color. Not only will you save money on paint, you'll also end up with a wonderful piece of art that can complement your modern aesthetic. If you're more of a canvas kind of person, simply look for a Canvas on Demand Promotion Code and save on your purchases.
Not really a painter? Don't fret! There are other kinds of inexpensive art that you can take advantage of. If you prefer something three-dimensional, get some art clay and start molding! You can create pretty much anything that pops in your imagination - a human sculpture, a vase or something a little more abstract - the options are limitless. For a more arts and crafts kind of vibe, you can even paper mache.
Paper mache, or papier mache, which in French means "chewed paper," is the art of using strips and pieces of paper that are bound together with some form of adhesive, usually a combination of flour and water or glue, to form a figure. Not only is this form of art inexpensive, it'll also allow you to use your imagination to create anything you desire. Go all out and create a giant sculpture that you can display in your living room.
Besides traditional forms of art, you can even use everyday materials to create wonderful pieces that can work in your home. Artist Tara Donovan, for instance, uses mundane materials like Styrofoam cups and straw to create amazing installations. For one of her creations entitled Haze, she stacked more than 2 million clear plastic drinking straws to create an amazing wall installation, according to Made In Slant. Create a smaller model for your bedroom or living room and prepare for guests to be amazed!
If you recently got a new car, you might want to start looking for accessories that can make life on the road easier, cleaner and more fun. With a CARiD.com promotion code, you can save on everything you need, so here's a list to help get you started.
1. Floor mats. Sometimes, the mats that come with a new car aren't durable enough to withstand heavy traffic and dirt - especially if they're made of fabric. You should consider investing in a set of rubber mats that will protect the floor against water and grime.
2. Cargo liners. If you plan on carrying a lot of different items in your trunk, a cargo liner can help you protect the floor. This can come in handy when you're toting things like groceries and sports equipment. An AutoAnything promotion code could help you save on this item.
3. A Global positioning system (GPS). If your car didn't come with one, it might be a good idea to get a GPS so you'll always know where you're going. There are many to choose from, so there's bound to be a device that will fit your budget. Make sure you get all of the necessary accessories, like a windshield mount.
4. A car cover. If you live in an area where there's no garage, a cover might be necessary to protect your vehicle from the elements. Look for a durable material that will hold up even in the most abysmal weather. You might also want to check out a CarportsUSA.com promotion code to save on a car port.
5. Audio accessories. Whether you choose to upgrade the car's audio system is up to you, but if you're planning to listen to music while you drive, there are plenty of ways to do so. CDs are one option, in which case you may need a travel case to keep them scratch-free. An iPod could also work, although it will require special accessories.
6. A car phone charger. If you're always on-the-go and want to be able to charge your phone wherever you are, a car charger is a great option. You could get a discount on one with a Phone Power promotion code.
7. Jumper cables. You can't always predict when your car is going to experience problems, so it might be a good idea to keep a set of jumper cables in your trunk in case of an emergency. If you don't know how they work, print out some directions and store them with the cables.
8. A remote starter. These can come in handy on cold days when you want to get the car warmed up without actually having to go outside yet. It might not be worth the investment if you live in a warm area.
9. License plate holders. If you want to add a bit of personality to your car without being over-the-top, license plate holders might be a good choice. An OnlyforCars promotion code could help you save on this item.
10. An air freshener. There's nothing better than getting into a pleasantly-scented car, so find a smell that tickles your fancy and opt for either a vent stick or a hanging card that will go over your rear-view mirror.
When it comes to car accessories, the sky is the limit. Find items that fit your car, tastes and personality to customize your ride.
Many drivers experience problems on the road during the winter season. The snowy, slushy conditions can cause accidents or mechanical issues. Roadside assistance can quickly become expensive, and no driver wants to be stranded in the cold.
The AAA advantage
Proper upkeep of vehicles during the grueling winter months is important for motorists.The American Automobile Association predicted it would need to retrieve 104,000 sets of keys locked inside vehicles, answer 194,000 requests for help with a dead battery and change over 95,000 tires during the year end holiday season. A promotion code for AAA services could help drivers stay safe on the snowy roadways.
Winter driving safety tips
Winter driving can be intimidating, but with the proper preparations, motorists can remain stress-free in hazardous conditions.Drivers should purchase a no-freeze fluid to prevent ice from forming on the windshield and check batteries, tire treads and windshield wipers before their next road trip.
Conditions during the winter months can make trips longer than expected, and rushed drivers may make irresponsible or unsafe decisions. In order to alleviate this stress, drivers should drive in the daylight as much as possible and become familiar with the route and expected weather conditions.
Motorists should avoid sharp maneuvers because steady and smooth driving will help them maintain control on slippery roads.
Tires should be kept in prime condition and be fully inflated. Since cold temperatures can reduce tire pressure, drivers should check the pressure frequently and make sure it is at least at the level that the manufacturer recommends.
Car maintenance is not something that can be taken lightly, especially during the winter months. Motorists need to keep safety in mind for themselves and others during the snowy season.
If you have ever been driving down a dark and abandoned road at night and had your car manifest into a demon that won't drive, you are not alone. Hopefully, you may have a car service, their number and cell phone service. If not, it may be time to break out a roadside emergency kit and use some creative problem solving to either get yourself back on the road or flag someone down.
A car safety kit is a key component to roadside safety and should be included in the back of your truck or the trunk of the car. For those with an extensive commute or those who travel often, the kit can assist in getting you back on the road in under an hour. Before outfitting your roadside safety kit, you may wish to check out an Auto Accessories Garage promotion code for $15 off an entire purchase.
A roadside emergency kit should be divided into two categories - auto and medical.
The auto portion of the kit should include items such as jumper cables (instructions for use will be either on the cables or in any auto owner’s manual), oil, flat head and Phillips head screw drivers, wrenches, pliers, extra fuses, anti freeze, duct tape and washer fluid, according to Edmunds. A Northern Auto Parts promotion code for 15 percent off all purchases may assist in finding these products.
In case of a flat tire, include a tire pressure gauge, a spare or donut, a tire inflator and a jack.
General emergency supplies to have on hand include a blanket (preferably fire resistant or a space blanket), bottled water, ice scraper, high fiber and protein snacks such as trail mix with nuts or granola, a flash light and spare batteries, a collapsible but strong shovel and winter gear, such as boots, parka and gloves (if applicable). An iCarkits promotion code could help you afford the variety of pieces a safety kit requires.
Once the auto portion of your safety kit is complete, it is time to focus on building the medical emergency part. A medical kit should include gauze, bandages, antiseptic cream, fever reliever, pain reliever, burn ointment, butterfly bandages, an ace bandage, medical tape and an anti-inflammatory medication. These basics may provide sufficient treatment until you are able to make it to a medical professional.
Packing all of these things in a car can assist in a quick fix to get you back onto the road in no time at all, preventing an unexpected event from turning into a day-long process to fix. Increasing safety on the road through a variety of practices will allow peace of mind for loved ones and the driver. The contents of a roadside kit may change depending on the environment you are traveling. There is obviously no need to keep a parka in the back of a car in the middle of summer. Regardless, for most of the kit’s contents, it is always a good idea to have a back up plan.
Keeping an emergency kit in the back of a car can assist in keeping you and your passengers safe for the duration of a trip or during everyday travel. Just remember not to remove it! There's nothing quite as frustrating as being in need of something and not remembering where you left it in a time of need.
There are thousands of magazines that feature a variety of content to fit almost everyone’s needs. Custom publications are designed to fit niche markets and have flooded the market. While there remains the big contenders, such as National Geographic and Vogue, smaller custom news sources have their places too. Whether you are searching for something from a mass media outlet or a more unique publication, those of distinguished tastes are able to find what they are looking for easily. If you are seeking a subscription for yourself or as a gift to someone, it is all about finding a magazine that provides what you or they wish to read. A DiscountMags promotion code could supply you with the savings you are looking for this season.
Here are a few suggested magazines based on the genre of content - they may be just what you are searching for.
Fashion and Beauty
For those who are interested in reading about fashion, there are a variety of publications that bring you the newest trends. The most popular circulating publications are Vogue, GQ, Glamour and InStyle. These magazines have individual flair yet continue to produce content on all the current fashions for hair, makeup, accessories and clothing. A Conde Nast promotion code for discounts on magazines such as GQ and Vogue can assist in savings for up to 79 percent off a subscription.
If a consumer is looking to stay abreast of current affairs, there are two magazines that focus on providing deeper coverage on a wide variety of news. Newsweek and Time magazines both provide in-depth pieces on the goings-on in the world - from political to social and all that is in-between. A MagMall promotion code may provide an affordable way to get your monthly dose of current affairs.
A topic that is constantly changing, there are a variety of technology-related industry news sources for the professional or the consumer. A tech-crazed consumer may wish to subscribe to PC Magazine or Technology Review. However, if you are in the business of technology, a professional may wish to subscribe to Wired. A Magazines.com promotion code can assist in finding discounts for a few of the most popular brands.
These are several of the thousands of magazine options available to consumers looking for a subscription to the niche news source of their choice. They cover a wide variety of topics and could lead the reader to a greater understanding of a subject.
The fall semester is drawing to a close, and many students will be at home enjoying the winter holidays for a month or two. Although the time is meant to help students relax and rejuvenate between semesters, it's never too early to get a head start on shopping for your textbooks. The longer you have to find great deals, the better chance you'll have to take advantage of them. Luckily, a Biblio.com promotion code can get you great discounts, like up to 90 percent off both new and used textbooks. You won't have to worry too much about searching the internet for deals with these helpful buying tips.
Find out what you need
Your school or professors might provide a list of books you'll need for the upcoming semester. If not, you can send an email to your instructors and ask them what you should get. That way, you won't be scrambling to find books the first week of class. There's nothing worse than getting homework assigned while you're still waiting for the book to come in. Make sure you write down the author, title and International Standard Book Number (ISBN). Be sure to ask if you need a certain edition, or if an older edition would work. You can sometimes get better discounts on past editions, and they're not always much different than the newest ones.
Unless you've saved the task of buying textbooks for last minute, you want to avoid having to buy everything at your campus bookstore. Many times, you'll have to buy brand new books, which cost a lot more than used ones. Search at a second-hand bookstore, or go online to find places selling used textbooks.
Make sure you're buying the version you need, and keep in mind that there may be additional supplies like a DVD or a CD that your professor may require. Look for deals on certain websites, like a Bunches of Books promotion code, which could save you up to 50 percent on textbooks. You could even decide to rent books for the semester on some sites, then give them back when you're done. Sharing a book with a friend is also an option! Make sure you get the books shipped to you in time, even if it means choosing a faster delivery speed.
Selling them back
Unless you want to keep the books for reference later on in your career, you probably don't need to keep the textbooks after every semester. It's better to sell them so you can get some of your money back. Usually, you won't be able to sell the books for the same price you bought them for, especially if you highlighted anything or wrote notes inside. However, you could still get a good fraction of what you originally paid for the book.
Avoid selling your books back to your campus bookstore, as they won't be likely to give you as much as you could get on a textbook buyback website. Look up how much other people are selling the same book for, then choose a price that's slightly lower to list your book at. People will be more likely to choose your book as a result. Be honest about the condition of your book when you list it, and promptly ship it once you find a buyer.
As long as you take the time to find the best bargains and do plenty of research, you should be able to get textbooks for cheap and then sell them back to make a bit of cash. Don't forget that a variety of discounts are available. Using something like a TextBookStop promotion code will save you money on those school supplies.
Take a moment and breathe in the essence of life. Sitting down or lounging (whichever you prefer) to read a book is one of life's greatest pleasures for those who lead hectic lives - like so many of us do. Regardless of whether you're reading from an e-reader or traditional paper, books still invoke strong reactions from their audience.
Books transform our world into much the same way snow globes do, encasing beauty, peril, adventure and so much more. They are the great common equalizer, while somehow allowing everyone to feel as if they have experienced something personal and unique. The words themselves do not change for each individual, however, their sweet intangible influences make a mockery of the simplicity of their letters.
No matter what genre you're looking to delve into, there are more than a few fantastic options that have been added to bookshelves (virtual or not) this past year. From serious works of art to the flirty delight of simple performances, 2011 brought a multitude of grand tales to experience. An Amazon.com promotion code can save you 20 percent discount on the order and assist in affording the book that may potentially be a favorite in years to come.
The list can go on and although you may disagree with the selections, here are the top rated books of the year according to genre.
1Q84 is the next great investigation into the small minute details of life that Haruki Murakami transforms into actions greater and less than we ever think thought possible. The artful enveloping quality of his words spark both fear and indulgence. If 1Q84 makes it under the Christmas tree this year, count yourself more than a little lucky, because Murakami's book is getting mass recognition as one of the greatest literary pieces of art to be produced for some time.
"Murakami is like a magician who explains what he's doing as he performs the trick and still makes you believe he has supernatural powers . . . But while anyone can tell a story that resembles a dream, it's the rare artist, like this one, who can make us feel that we are dreaming it ourselves," wrote the New York Times.
The Geeks Shall Inherit the Earth: Popularity, Quirk Theory and Why Outsiders Thrive After High School by Alexandra Robbins delves into the cliques, groups and fringe societies commonly found in many American schools. Robbins digs into a high school to determine if the recent nerd-gone-cool craze is trickling down into schools and changing the societal groups.
Essentially, she expressesd the hope that the once-marginalized students who didn't fit the traditional molds of coolness have achieved comfortable statuses, even if they are not the golden athletic stars or perfect cheerleader idols. The dream is that these afflicted majority have found a home amongst a subset of socially acceptable young adults. However, as much as Robbins hopes the traditional groups of ostracized students would find tolerance in this new geek chic culture, as pop culture shows like The Big Bang Theory gain momentous following and support, it's not always the case.
Robbins writes in her novel, "It is unacceptable that the system we rely on to develop children into well-adjusted, learned, cultured adults allows drones to dominate and increasingly devalues freethinkers."
By tracking self-professed geeks, nerds, goths, emos, freaks, punks and weirdos over the course of one school year, Robbins shows readers that the torture is as virulent as ever. Instead of witnessing geek chic or the cease of constant bullying, Robbins finds that students are cracking down on those who do not fit the accepted mold more than ever before.
However, the book positively notes that your mother's advice on being nice to the geek because he might someday be a billionaire like Bill Gates, is holding true in more ways than one. The central message tells us that high school does end in many ways, and that our "increasingly homogenized society ultimately needs and welcomes the cafeteria fringe," according to the New York Times. Geek chic is in and probably will stay, in one way or another, as the traits often associated with outsider status, such as individuality, resilience, intelligence and a passion for something that isn't football, will ultimately lead to benefits as an adult.
Divergent, by Veronica Roth, is a complex, delving tale that stays genre specific by exploring the traditional characters who, no matter how outrageous or fantastical the situation, remain relatable to middle school students.
The main character engages both female and male readers by drawing on a neutral palette of experience, spicing it up with a rich plot that absorbs the reader into a fantasy experience.
"In a novel that takes on the problem of conformity and questions the certainty of narrow-minded ideologues, such circuit-breaking is nonetheless useful, forcing the reader to pause and think in the middle of that dauntless break for the plot’s conclusion," said the New York Times.
Adults looking to promote healthy reading habits in their pre-teens should consider looking into purchasing Roth's tale. You may watch as a love of fantasy and science fiction grows into a lifelong habit, regardless of what medium the future make take the book industry into.
A Dance with Dragons, George R. R. Martin's book that claimed the title of Best Fantasy for 2011, strikes down the competition in true Westeros and Seven Kingdoms fashion. The intrigue and conflict marking the fictional kingdom bespeaks a hard life of plot twists and danger, drawing parallels between both the real and fictional worlds. It crosses genres and enthralls readers like a drug as they wait with baited breath for the next twist.
Martin's characters fight the battle waged through circumstance and their own making. In the power of the young, the in-charge, the old and the forces of plotting personalities, more than a few characters make their own beds and are forced to lie in it them. Others are merely pawns in the great Game of Thrones.
"With the arrival of A Dance With Dragons... it's high time we drove a stake through the heart of J. R. R. Tolkien and The Lord of the Rings. Like its predecessors, Dance has its share of flagons 'n' dragons, and swords 'n' sorcerers, but that doesn’t make Mr. Martin the American Tolkien, as some would have it. He’s much better than that," said the New York Times.
Steve Jobs, by Walter Isaacson, stormed the New York Times Bestseller list for weeks on end following the businessman's unfortunate demise. The biography is based on more than 40 interviews with Jobs, friends, family, business colleagues and competitors, all conducted over the course of two years. It is potentially the greatest record of one of America's most successful moguls who instilled a brand as unique as the man.
Isaacson threw his entire self into creating the written concentration of a piece that weaves the essence of Jobs with animated details about his life and work. The novel gives a penetrating review of the man and his creative passion for perfection, which bordered on obsessive compulsiveness as he handled every aspect of his business, including computers, smartphones, music players, tablets, publishing, graphics, branding and animated movies.
In less than a month, Steve Jobs became Amazon's top-selling book for 2011. Entrepreneurs, tech enthusiasts and more are all looking for the secret to his ferocious drive and unequivocal genius. Readers may find the secrets to building an international brand empire within the pages of Isaacson's investigation into the great man, however, they will they're more likely to find an inspiring tale of unmatched passion.
These are just a few of the grand literary additions to the publishing industry. Try a few, try none or try all of them. If cost is a concern, save a little cash and look for discounts from retailers, such as a Bookscloseouts.com promotion code. Books offer a unique experience of literary satisfaction and no one should be denied their influence. Turn off the television and stretch your brain while relaxing after completing the millions of responsibilities that life provides. There are so many books to chose from that you will never be disappointed for long!
Planning on going to the beach or laying out by the pool this summer? If so, the search for swimwear for yourself, your significant other and your children is probably on your mind. A great place to find flattering and fashionable swimwear for everyone on your list is Lands’ End. Lands’ End has darling swimsuits for children. If you are looking for a swimsuit for your daughter, Lands’ End has a nice selection of cute, girly patterns in one-piece styles, tankinis and bikinis. There are also coordinating swim shorts, rash guards and cover-ups. If it is your son that needs new swimming trunks, there is a large selection of trunks and matching rash guards. For men, swim trunks come in two lengths, 6 inch and 9 inch, making it easier to find the right trunks. Perhaps, best known for their women’s swimsuits, Lands’ End is bound to have the perfect suit for you. Finding your perfect suit is easy with their ‘Swim Resource Guide’, ensuring that you get the right fit, size and style everytime. With the great selection of swim bottoms, bikini and tankini tops, as well as one-piece styles the hardest part may be narrowing down the color and/or pattern you like. To help your search go easier, you can browse swimsuits by collection, silhouette, fit solution and special sizes. After you have found the swimwear that you need be sure to check out the cover-ups, beach towels, sunglasses and beach bags to complete your look. When browsing swimwear and beach essentials, be sure to look for Lands’ End promotion codes.
Ladies, it's that time of year again. Time to start thinking about your Spring wardrobe. Today only, you can save an additional 25% on all ladies clothing, shoes and purses at Last Call, including clearance items. Last Call has the latest in trends from the designers you love and know. Let's be honest, we all want to look our best and save money and time whenever possible, which is why we like to shop and save online. So go ahead and get that Elaine Turner bag or that pair of Vera Wang shoes you have been coveting and save some of your hard earned money. Hurry and shop now as this amazing offer ends tonight at midnight. As always, be sure to check PromotionCode.org for the latest promo codes, discounts, and storewide sales.
If you're thinking about tying the knot in the near future, you're probably wondering what kinds of engagement rings are fashionable these days. There are so many choices to look at, it can be overwhelming to make a decision. Luckily, there are several gorgeous trends that have been big with celebrities lately, giving you plenty of options. With a Limoges Jewelry promotion code, you can save 20 percent on your purchase, so price doesn't have to be an obstacle. Here are some styles to check out.
1. Colorful gemstones. Although diamonds are the traditional choice for engagement rings, they're not the only option you have. Colorful gemstones have been popping up all over the place since Kate Middleton received her sapphire sparkler. Consider picking out a ring with a stone in your favorite color, whether it's a blue sapphire, a red ruby or a green emerald. It's an intriguing way to think outside the box.
2. Three-stone settings. Instead of the popular tapered baguette setting, many brides-to-be are choosing three-stoned settings (also called trinities) that feature a diamond flanked on both sides by smaller stones. You might be able to get a discount on this style with a Diamond Jewelry Masters promotion code.
3. Diamonds all around. Many people are choosing rings that have diamonds all along the band. This gives your diamond plenty of surrounding sparkle and creates the illusion of a bigger stone. After all, who wouldn't want more diamonds?
4. Detailed raised settings. Elaborate designs with plenty of height are hot right now, according to The Knot. An interesting design can ensure that your solitaire diamond gets the spotlight. Look for deals on settings with an Ice.com promotion code.
5. Eco-friendly and cruelty-free rings. Whether they're made of recycled metal or are conflict-free diamonds, eco-friendly rings are all the rage. They come in a variety of styles, so you don't have to sacrifice fashion for friendliness.
Lastly, vintage glamour has become a big hit recently. It may be because of the retro fashions showing up on the runway, or due to the lackluster economy. Either way, vintage styles are chic and often affordable, as you don't have to buy a brand new setting or stone. See what you can find for less with a Sussex Jewelers promotion code.
You've probably seen them being used everywhere in the bus to the classroom - tablets are becoming the new trend in computer technology. Funny enough, tablets have been around just as long as laptops have, but their resurgence this time seems to be fueled by the uber-popular iPad. However, Apple's iconic device isn't the one out there, and if you're in the market for a tablet, there are actually plenty of models to choose from. Just make sure that you look for a Best Buy Promotion Code to save on your purchase.
Before we even list different types of tablets, we have to understand what they actually are. According to PC Mag, a tablet is "A general-purpose computer contained in a single panel. Its distinguishing characteristic is the use of a touch screen as the input device. Modern tablets are operated by fingers, whereas earlier tablets required a stylus."
Tablets can be used for many different purposes. Most purchase these gadgets for recreational reasons while others use them for work. Depending on which model you buy, a tablet can include a marketplace where you can either purchase applications (apps) or download them for free. From games to utilities and tools, there are virtually thousands of software to choose from, and it's up to you to customize the content of your tablet by choosing which apps to download.
iPad 2. Strategy Analytics reported that during the fourth quarter of 2010, iPad's market share was at 75 percent, according to the Business Insider, so it's only fitting to start off the list with the device that fueled the resurgence of the tablets. With the recent release of the iPad 2, the gadget is just becoming more popular than ever.
The iPad 2 is packed with plenty of features that many casual tablet users can enjoy. Its operating system is the iOS 4, created specifically by Apple as a mobile operating system not only for the iPad but also for the iPhones. Compared to the first iPad, the second generation is 33 percent thinner so it's easier to grab a hold of. It also comes with two Apple A5 chips, a 10-hour battery life and a 9.7-inch dispaly, which means better movie watching, surfing the net and playing games. The iPad 2 also has two cameras - one in the back and the other in the front for Apple's own FaceTime application, which allows for videoconferencing with other iPad users.
A 16 GB model currently sells for $499.
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1. At only $279.99 for a 16 GB model, the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 might just be the frontrunner to at least grabbing some market share away from Apple. This shiny gadget, just like the iPad, is chockfull of features but under all the guidance of the Android operating system, which is an open source O.S. for many mobile devices.
According to its website, the Galaxy Tab is the thinnest and lightest large screen tablet in the market, tipping the scale at 565 grams and is only 8.66 mm slim. Unlike Apple products, Android devices actually support the Adobe Flash Player, which means more multimedia experience online. The Galaxy Tab 10.1 also has two cameras for video chatting, crisp pictures and HD video.
The tablet also features a 10.1-inch widescreen display and a video battery life of up to 9 hours.
Motorola XOOM. The XOOM, just like the Galaxy Tab, was released to compete with the popularity of the iPad. Perhaps a major advantage that this tablet has over others is Motorola's partnership with Verizon, which allows the device to connect through not just Wi-Fi but also with Verizon's 3G network. The Wi-Fi and 3G networking compatible model will set you back $499.
Features of the XOOM include a 10.1-inch HD widescreen display so you can enjoy HD movies conveniently, according to the tablet's website. Just like the Galaxy Tab, the XOOM also uses the Android operating system, specifically the 3.1 Honeycomb version. With a front- and back-facing camera, users are able to take quality pictures and videos, as well as video chat with friends who also have the Android device. When it comes to battery life, Wi-Fi browsing or video playback can last up to 10 hours, while standby time is approximately 14 days.
Are you in the market for a new computer? Technology has allowed for a plethora of options to choose from depending on your need and what you need the computer for. Here are several things that you might want to take into consideration before buying a new computer.
Are you buying a computer for work? Many individuals these days have the option of working from home. So whether you're telecommunicating or running your own business, a dependable computer is crucial to ensure that you get some work done. For serious workers, a desktop computer is still the way to go. But of course, your choice will also depend on the kind of work that you do. Graphic artists, for instance, might want a model with fast processor speeds and a state-of-the-art graphics card, as well as a big monitor to ensure that their works are topnotch.
Offsite workers who might want some mobility can also opt for a laptop instead. Small and portable, a laptop can be placed in a bag for easy transport. Bring your computer to a café or the library for a change of scenery.
If you're looking for a device that's more of a leisurely gadget, a tablet might just be the way to go. These computers are gaining widespread popularity once again, thanks to a plethora of apps and other software to choose from. Gamers and casual web browsers will surely find the appeal of these ergonomically-designed devices.
Whichever you choose, do remember that each computer comes with a different price tag. If you'd like to save on your next purchase, look for online coupons and discounts like a Best Buy Promotion Code.
We've never been, but we're sure that being in prison is not something that anyone would like to experience. For inmates in a labor camp in China, their time in jail meant that they had to play the World of Warcraft, and for them, playing the massive multiplayer online role-playing game is more brutal than it sounds.
According to Mashable, the prisoners at the Jixi labor camp were forced to play the game in a moneymaking scheme, known as "gold farming." Inmates would go online and perform monotonous tasks in the virtual world to make money, which the guards then apparently hawked online for real cash.
It sounds like the perfect punishment for geeks everywhere - what better way to serve your sentence than play games all day? But actually, the task had to be done after a full day of physical toil, which included digging trenches.
Warcraft is a great game, but we'd rather play it in a more comfortable setting, like say, our living rooms, without guards harassing us to get more gold!
For your gaming needs, look for a World of Warcraft Coupon Code, a WorldWinner Promo Code or a Yahoo! Games Promotion Code.
If someone used the words "social media" 10 years ago, people would've likely responded with a perplexed look. Today, you probably can't go more than a few hours without mentioning the rising phenomenon. At times, it can be difficult to keep up with all of the different types of media. Facebook has made a permanent mark on the world, but you probably want to be aware of the next big social site.
Pinterest is a rising social site that provides a different spin on what it means to browse for information online. The ever-changing technology may cause you to want to update your electronics. With a 1 Stop Electronics and Appliances promotional code, you can save money on your next computer purchase.
Users of the popular site, Pinterest, connect by sharing links, videos and photographs. They can share things like inspirational quotes and delicious recipes with their followers. Pinterest combines the social aspects of Facebook and Twitter, but it is less personal. Users don't have the ability to share constant status updates or tweets. However, they can express their opinions on a particular product on their pin board.
The site has over 10 million registered users, Mashable reports. The number of daily users of the site grew by 145 percent since the start of 2012, according to the news source. Many would attribute Pinterest’s success to the simplicity of the site. Users simply click "pin" and they can instantly share the image or product with followers. What makes this social site with a large emphasis on images more successful than other sites like Tumblr and Flickr?
Pinterest differentiates itself from other social mediums because the emphasis is not based on personal experiences. For instance, on Valentine's Day, many people may have decided to log off their favorite social networks because they didn't want to see yet another, "flowers from my boyfriend," photograph. On Pinterest, users choose to pin things like home decor ideas or outfits. This site gives people a break from the sometimes overwhelming information overload about the people in their life. If the site has ever inspired you to update your home decor, use an ArtfulHome promotion code to receive free shipping on orders up to $100.
Over 100 brands also use Pinterest. Some of these companies include HGTV, TOMS, Gap and Lowes, according to an infographic on Mashable. The site urges users to collect and share things that inspire them. People have the ability to discover new ideas and products from users with similar interests.
The site is also a little different from other social media pages because it requires users to have an invitation before they can become an official member. You always want what you can't have and nothing seems more elite than a site that requires a personal invite. This feature gets people wondering, “well what's so great about this?”
Once people request an invitation, they will receive an email inviting them to become a part of the online community. Pinterest shortens the sign-up process by allowing users to sign in with an existing Facebook profile. Users are then encouraged to choose their favorite topics like art, food and home.
After people have chosen their favorite topics, the site will request people to follow. If social media users waste hours following "friends" on Facebook who they may not have spoken to in years, it's highly likely that they will spend even more time browsing topics they are interested in. With an Apple Store promotion code, you can save money on updated electronics and join the social site. Maybe it's time to hop on the pinning train - if you haven't already!
If you recently bought a new cell phone and aren't sure which accessories to buy, don't worry. There are tons of options out there that can make your cell phone experience easy and convenient, whether or not you have a do-it-all smartphone. With a Cell Phone Shop promotion code, you'll be able to save on the supplies you need, so pick and choose your add-ons.
1. Car charger. If you're constantly on-the-go, a cell phone charger that plugs into your car is a real winner. You won't have to worry about losing battery life, even if you get lost on a road in the middle of nowhere.
2. Cell phone case. These items are a necessity if you're one of those people who can be clumsy at times. Even if you drop your phone from hand-height, it won't get damaged if it has a sturdy case surrounding it. An iCellPhoneCovers.com promotion code can give you a discount on the cover of your choice.
3. Screen guards. If you're concerned about the screen getting scratched, there are clear stickers that can cover it without disrupting your view. All you have to do is cut the piece into the shape of your screen, stick it on and roll out any air bubbles.
4. Extra battery. If you're constantly texting, playing games or making calls on your cell phone, you might go through the battery quickly. If that's the case, an extra battery might be beneficial, as you'll always have a back-up. Use a CellPhones.org promotion code to find a deal on the battery of your choice.
5. Headset. Talking on the phone can be dangerous while driving (not to mention illegal in some states), and it's also inconvenient when your hands are busy with cooking or cleaning. However, with a headset you'll be able to chat away without having to worry about having any problems while multi-tasking. Find one that's comfortable on your head and is compatible with your cell phone.
There are plenty of other ways to customize your cell phone experience - it just takes a bit of research to find products that you like. Just remember that you can save big on your purchases with a Cell Phone Accessories V promotion code.
In today's world, people sometimes feel that their cell phone is like another vital extremity. Technology can make some responsibilities in life easier and more efficient. From traveling to staying busy on long work commutes - imagining life without precious electronics can seem nearly impossible. Some electronics can make traveling much easier for people and with a 1 Stop Electronics and Appliances promotion code you can save money on your gadgets.
Few trips would be complete without a way to capture the memories. A digital camera can help travelers remember some of their favorite moments of vacation. The options are seemingly endless for digital cameras and making the decision about which kind to bring on a journey can be difficult. For quick shots of your travel experiences, a point and shoot camera is probably the best buy. A camera that can be easily stowed in a suitcase or carry-on is also ideal for travelers.
Traveling to a foreign-speaking country can be both an adventure and a challenge. Even the simplest of questions can be difficult when you don't speak the same language as the natives. Instead of worrying about the burden of communication barriers, you can use a translator. With this device, you can type in simple phrases and learn how to say them in the foreign language. Ordering meals and asking for directions will be much easier with this technology.
Usually hotels offer wireless internet service. This can be beneficial for travelers with laptops because they can look up directions or schedules for activities. Laptops can also make communication with family members at home easier and cheaper. With a Best Buy promotion code, you can save money on your next electronic purchase.
Different types of electronics require different kinds of chargers and this can be a burden for travelers. You don't want to be digging through your suitcase to find each cord that matches your devices. Outlets in foreign countries use different watts of energy and in order to keep your electronics safe, you need to bring an adaptor.
People often like to open a good book on vacation. A tiny book light won't take up space in a suitcase and can help avid readers continue their hobby, even in the dark.
Traveling can be much easier with the right electronics.
Reality TV has become a popular form of entertainment for people of all types. Hundreds of programs have aired since late 1999 early 2000. Some have come and gone and others are still as strong as ever. Reality TV covers everything from singing, dancing, modeling, cooking, fishing, sportsmanship, families and more. Some of the most popular reality TV shows are Survivor, American Idol, The Voice, Swamp People, Deadliest Catch, 16 and Pregnant, Jersey Shore, The Bachelor, Dancing With the Stars, America’s Next Top Model, Project Runway, and Intervention. American Idol is probably one of the most watched reality TV shows today. People both young and old, enjoy watching the journey to find the best singer in America. American Idol takes you from auditioning to finals and shows you the good and the bad singers. For men and women too, shows like Deadliest Catch and Swamp People captivate their audience with the adrenaline pumping extreme fishing and outdoorsman ship. Deadliest Catch follows several captains and their crews through the Bering Sea during the Alaskan King Crab Season. Deadliest catch shows just why Alaskan King Crab fishing is one of the most dangerous jobs in the world. Swamp People is a fairly newcomer to reality TV, but already has a huge following. Swamp People takes you through the Louisiana Bayous during the 30 day alligator hunting season. The series revolves around 5 teams that are exposed to the elements and danger of alligator hunting. If you haven’t seen any of these programs yet, order some of the previous seasons on DVD from online retailers. To save money and get the best deals available, be sure to look for The History Channel, Discovery.com and Barnes & Noble promotion codes.
A new year can mean many changes for people, like healthier eating habits or an updated physical fitness routine. Some people look forward to a new calendar year because they could have something different to watch on television in the evening. After work, many people wind down in front of their favorite sitcoms and dramas. The 2012 TV season offers many new shows that viewers might be interested in watching.
House of Lies
This new Showtime comedy premiered on January 8, 2012. It stars Don Cheadle, Kristen Bell and Ben Schwartz as busy management consultants. Cheadle's character, Marty, is extremely successful and willing to do almost anything to get what he or his clients want. The episodes are devious and humorous, according to an article on MSNBC. The selfish characters are somehow still easy for fans to like. With a 1 Stop Electronics and Appliances Promotional Code you can save money while you watch new shows.
The FirmThe show is based on John Grisham’s book and the 1993 movie starring Tom Cruise. Josh Lucas, previously seen in Sweet Home Alabama, plays Mitch McDeere in this dramatic series. The pilot episode begins where the movie left off and McDeere is released from the Federal Witness Protection Program. As an associate, McDeere shut down the firm of Bendin, Lambert & Locke, which served as a front for the Chicago mob. After emerging from the witness protection program, McDeere and his wife discover that they are still in danger.
Writer and executive producer J.J. Abrams premiered a new show on Fox on January 16. The thrilling new series encompasses America's most famous prison - Alcatraz. A homicide case peaks the character Rebecca Madsen's interest about a former Alcatraz inmate. She launches an investigation to get to the bottom of this mysterious case. The country's most infamous killers and criminals disappeared in 1963 and appear in modern day. Abrams is known for his elaborate plot lines and this new series is sure to have viewers tuning in. Curl up on a new couch with an Everything Furniture promotion code.
Are you there Chelsea?Legendary comedian Chelsea Handler provides her fans with many reasons to laugh. A show inspired by her two best-selling books follows the life of Handler in her twenties. Laura Prepon plays the young Chelsea Handler, as a blunt and opinionated woman. She works at a sports bar in New Jersey with quirky characters and co-workers. Handler plays her older sister in the series.
With long-running shows like Desperate Housewives nearing their final episodes, ABC is looking to premiere a new version of housewife hilarity. Kristen Chenoweth shines in this new series about a Texas native who moves back home after the sudden and unexpected death of her husband. Premiering on ABC on March 4, a group of women who gossip and preach Christianity might make for great entertainment.
Jason Isaacs plays Detective Michael Britten in this new series. He wakes up from a car accident with his wife and teenage son, but he's unsure how to distinguish reality from his dreams. As he grieves the loss of his wife, he wakes up a couple of days later to find out it's his son who died in the fatal accident. This intricate and complex plot line could cause viewers to tune in week after week. After all, wouldn't you want to find out what’s reality and what’s a dream?
Debra Messing and Katharine McPhee steal the show in this new NBC series involving an actress who’s about to experience her first big break. Smash is a musical drama, but not at all similar to the popular Glee. McPhee's character goes through heartbreak and happiness as she works to become the next big star. The series is based around the urge to create a Broadway musical based on the life of Marilyn Monroe. Messing's character, Julia, and her husband are in the process of adopting a child. Messing battles between work and family as she is offered the opportunity to produce a Broadway hit. The battle to become a leading lady might become a popular series on NBC.
The show premiered on January 12 on CBS. Rob Schneider, the famous comedian who created Deuce Bigalow: Male Gigolo and The Hot Chick, is the star of the new series. His character gets married and tries to adjust to life with his wife's Mexican-American family. Rob works as a landscape architect who marries Maggie, a book translator. The two elope in Las Vegas and come home to tell Maggie's strict parents. Rob is going to rise to the challenge to win over his new family in this sitcom. In-law drama could be quite humorous if it's not your own.
The creator of the hit series Bones developed The Finder based on a detective with the ability to find things others may not be able to uncover. The show premiered on January 12 on FOX. Iraq war veteran Walter Sherman, played by Geoff Stults, was known for his ability to track down insurgents and deserters. Walter was severely injured as a result of an explosion. After the accident, Walter is able to find things for anyone. From a dead body to a murder weapon - he's always on the case.
Viewers are anxiously awaiting the arrival of this new series premiering on ABC on February 7. The host of the fictional show Undiscovered Country disappeared in the Amazon region. As he's been missing for six months, his wife and friends believe that he's dead. His emergency detector sounded and his wife and co-host scramble to find the location of him and his missing crew. From paranormal to horrific events - this show will have few dull moments.
Wind down from a long day at work by enjoying some of these new shows. What better way to stay updated with new series than on a new television set? With an Electronic Express promotion code, you can save money on your purchase and enjoy your new favorite show on a big screen TV.
No matter what your relationship status is, there's no denying the power of a romantic movie watched on or near Valentine's Day. If you're snuggling up on the couch with your sweetheart, lounging on the sofa with your gal pals or treating yourself to a movie and popcorn marathon, use a MovieGoods.com promotion code to get deals on these awesome movies for Februrary 14.
1. When Harry Met Sally. With Billy Crystal and Meg Ryan, this film features stars with an awesome chemistry that'll give you plenty of laughs. The actors play two good friends from college who bump into each other on numerous occasions throughout their lives, but aren't sure whether or not it's a good idea to start a romantic relationship.
2. The First Wives Club. If you're single and in the mood for some great laughs on Valentine's Day, this movie is the perfect choice. Bette Midler, Goldie Hawn and Diane Keaton star as three divorced wives out to get revenge on their husbands, who traded them in for newer, younger women.
3. Casablanca. Forever a classic, this film embodies the nature of Hollywood romance. Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman star in this World War II drama, which revolves around secret documents, hot nightclubs and unbridled passion, making for an exciting watch. Use a HotMovieSale promotion code to save on this timeless romance.
4. Pride & Prejudice. It doesn't matter which version you choose - this movie is based on one of the most profound romances ever written. Jane Austen's humorous love story between headstrong Elizabeth Bennet and the aloof Mr. Darcy will undoubtedly leave you satisfied.
5. Twilight. Sometimes a twist on the old love story is refreshing, and this film definitely turns the idea of romance on its head. Based on the series of novels by Stephenie Meyer, Twilight features a girl named Bella Swan who falls deeply in love with a vampire named Edward. All kinds of action ensues - just not the type you'd usually expect in a romantic flick.
6. Now and Then. If you're celebrating great friendships on Valentine's Day, there's no better movie than this. With big names like Rosie O'Donnell, Christina Ricci and Demi Moore, you're bound to be touched by the feel-good story of childhood friends who look back fondly on their lives one memorable summer.
7. Pretty Woman. With Richard Gere and Julia Roberts, this rags-to-riches love story is sure to make you long for a Prince Charming of your own. Gere plays a businessman who hires Roberts' character, a prostitute, to act as an escort while he tours L.A. Plenty of comedic situations arise, and eventually they fall in love.
8. Love Actually. This romantic comedy, which features a star-studded cast including Keira Knightley, Colin Firth, Liam Neeson and Hugh Grant, follows the love lives of characters from all walks of life in London, England, near Christmastime. It'll show you that love can show up in just about any situation.
9. Thelma & Louise. Love your best friend but hate Valentine's Day? If so, this movie is the perfect choice. Susan Sarandon and Geena Davis star as a fed-up waitress and a housewife who team up on an adventure and end up shooting a rapist before being chased by police. While not exactly romantic, this flick is ideal if you're fed-up with love.
10. Sleepless in Seattle. Another Meg Ryan classic, this film, starring Tom Hanks as Ryan's love interest, focuses on how love can bring two strangers together. In the movie, Hanks' son calls up a radio station to find a partner for his recently-widowed dad. Plenty of women respond, but are any of them a perfect match? Use a Netflix promotion code to save on renting the movie so you can find out.
11. Titanic. If you're not afraid to shed a few tears on Valentine's Day, this movie is the perfect pick. Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet star in this hugely popular movie about two young lovers who are faced with disaster on the ocean. You can probably imagine what happens, but that shouldn't stop you from enjoying the ride.
12. The Notebook. This touching love story, based on the novel by Nicholas Sparks, stars Ryan Gosling and Rachel McAdams. The movie showcases the drama surrounding their complicated yet romantic relationship and quickly develops into a real tear-jerker. Prepare to have a box of tissues on hand, because this movie might get to you.
13. 50 First Dates. Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore are hilarious in this romantic comedy about a woman with amnesia who's being wooed by a devoted new suitor. You're sure to get plenty of laughs along with several "aww" moments. Use a Video Collection promotion code to get 25 percent off your DVD purchase.
14. The Sound of Music. If you're in the mood for a musical, this classic movie is sure to satisfy you. Julie Andrews and Christopher Plummer star as a nun-turned-governess and a Captain who face the perils of Nazi Germany while trying to kindle a romance. You'll find yourself singing along in no time.
15. Ghost. This romantic movie starring Demi Moore and Patrick Swayze is sure to have you captivated. Deeply in love, the couple heads to the theater for a night out that turns disastrous after a mugger murders Swayze's character. He finds himself back on earth as a ghost in his afterlife as a result of his undying devotion.
No matter who you decide to watch with, these movies are sure to tickle your fancy on Valentine's Day. Featuring friendships, dating advice, steamy love scenes and classic on-screen smooches, you're bound to find anything you're looking for in these films. Don't forget to use an f.y.e.com promotion code to save money on your favorites this February.
For those of you who still haven’t filed their 2011 taxes, the due date is April 17th. Returns should be filed & extensions need to be filed no later than April 17, 2012. To help speed up your process here are some useful tips to make filing your taxes easier. First be sure that you have and carefully check all personal information needed to file your taxes, including dates of birth and social security numbers of you, your spouse and your dependents. Second make sure that you have all the forms related to your income, whether it is a W-2, 1099, SSA-1099 or any other form. Third you will need any paperwork that shows adjustments to your income. These can be IRA contributions, student loan interest, self-employed health insurance premiums, or educator expenses, just to name a few. Fourth you will need a list of your credits and itemized deductions. These can include child care costs, home mortgage interest and points, charitable donations and Child Tax Credit, and more. You will also need to document taxes already paid, such as state and local income tax, real estate tax and personal property tax.
Once you have gathered all the necessary information to file your taxes, you can begin the process of submitting your tax return. To save you time, file electronically. There are several benefits to filing electronically. When you use software programs to file your taxes electronically, there are step by step guides that allow you to file your taxes quickly and easily. When you file electronically you are less likely to make any errors when preparing your return. Tax software and online programs have systems in place to alert you to any errors that may have occurred when entering your tax information. Also by filing electronically, your tax information is received quicker and your refund is processes and paid to you quicker than if you file your taxes by hand on paper. To save money on tax preparation or to file your simple tax returns for free look for Jackson Hewitt, Turbo Tax or H&R Block promotion codes.
Credit scores can seem like a mysterious number for many people. A good credit score doesn't have to be something that remains out of your reach. Many people who borrow money can have good scores by following a few simple steps. Obtaining a good credit score can benefit consumers for many different reasons. With a CreditCards.com promotion code, you can get an estimate of your credit score for free.
Your credit score can affect your ability to buy a house or take out a loan. Lenders, insurance companies and businesses use this number to determine how much you'll be charged. Scores range from 300 to 850 and many factors are taken into account in order to calculate the number.
Part of a credit score relates to your payment history. The companies observe if you paid your bills on time. If you miss a bill payment or consistently pay your bills late, it will negatively affect your score. Payment history is 35 percent of the score, so it's important to make payments in a timely fashion. If you were to miss a credit card payment for the first time and send your money in after the 30-day period, your score can drop by over 100 points, according to How Stuff Works. Using a CreditWatch.com promotion code, you could find out your score.
"That first delinquency puts you in a different class of consumers. You can make up that 100 points but it will take a lot longer than it took for that score to fall," Craig Watts, a spokesperson for Fair Isaac, told CNN Money.
Another factor taken into account when calculating a credit score is the amount of time the credit line has been available. If you feel like you have too many credit cards and begin to close out accounts, this may negatively affect your score. Frequently opening and closing cards shows lenders that you may be an unreliable consumer.
When the cashier asks you, "would you like to save 15 percent and open a new card with us today?" you may be tempted to answer yes because the sales people are paid to make this offer sound appealing. However, in-store credit cards may negatively affect your score. Opening many cards in a short period of time can be seen as risky behavior for creditors, reports CNN.
If you've already established a good credit score, you will likely be able to increase your borrowing capacity. Creditors track your spending and payment rates, and if your history proves you are responsible with your spending, they will increase your limit. With a SmartCredit.com promotion code, you can get a free credit report.
Another benefit of a high credit score is you may be eligible for lower financing on car leases. Car dealers often offer lower financing rates for people who can be trusted to make payments on time. Insurance companies also provide consumers who have good credit with lower rates.
If you're looking to purchase a house or take out a loan to continue your education, good credit can make the negotiation process with lenders easier. You can ask for a higher credit line or lower monthly fees if you have a high score. Financial institutions will be more likely to negotiate with people who have good credit.
Purchasing a home is one of the largest expenses people make during their lifetimes. When you're exploring mortgage or refinancing options, the higher your credit score, the better your rate.
It's important to stay informed about your credit score. With a FreeCreditReport.com promotion code, you can keep track of your credit reports and credit scores.
If you haven't received any tax documents in the mail yet, you likely will soon. The end of the year is when employers start sending out W2 forms, and you can expect all kinds of other documents from banks, mutual funds and brokerage companies.
Getting these forms isn't normally a problem, but oftentimes taxpayers have their work cut out for them when it comes to organization. There's nothing worse than realizing at the last minute that you don't have everything you need to file your taxes. In order to avoid chaos this year, use an H&R Block promotion code to get discounts on products and services and keep in mind these tips for storing and keeping track of your forms.
Instead of banishing every tax document you receive into a file folder or an unruly pile on your desk, it may help to create separate folders for each type of document. A financial contributor for Good Morning America suggests designating folders for income, investments, expenses and deductions.
Your income folder will hold every document that has to do with how much you make, including your W2s and any 1099-MISC forms. The investment folder will store 1099s and any year-end statements from your bank, brokerage and mutual funds. Expenses will include your mortgage statements and other big-ticket item receipts. A deductions folder will include charitable donation forms as well as any related receipts.
Once you have everything organized, you should make a checklist of everything you need to file your taxes. This includes all of the forms in the folders, as well as additional information like your Social Security Number, student loan documents, bank account and routing numbers (if you pay electronically) and other related information.
Don't forget that you can save money on filing your taxes by using a FreeTaxUSA promotion code, which could let you file your taxes for free.
You probably know that you can find probiotics in fortified yogurt and other types of dairy products, but did you know that sometimes even chocolate contains these beneficial bacteria? If you're looking for a way to regulate your digestive system and improve your overall health, probiotics may be the answer you're looking for. With an iHerb promotion code, you can even get a discount on supplements. Here's what you need to know before taking probiotics.
What are probiotics?
According to Fitness Magazine, probiotics are friendly microorganisms (usually bacteria) in our intestines. "The gut contains 70 percent of our body’s immune tissue," reports the news source, "so a healthy gut is important for healthy immune function. Probiotics help keep the cells of the colon healthy, promoting good digestion."
Many things can throw off the amount of good bacteria in your intestine, such as lack of sleep, poor diet and stress, causing health issues and poor digestion. With probiotics lining your intestines, you'll be able to produce the vitamins you need, as well as lactase, which helps your body break down milk.
Where you can get them
There are many brands of probiotic yogurts, which have had the bacteria added. If you buy these, it's important not to put them in the freezer, as this could kill the bacteria. You can also get probiotics from chocolate bars and juice, which you can buy for less with a FoodSaver promotion code. Supplements are also available at many stores.
What kind you need
Fitness Magazine points out that there are different strands of probiotics, all of which perform specific functions. Therefore, it's essential to research each one to figure out which benefits your body needs. According to MedicineNet.com, there are many different ways these microorganisms can help you, including treating diarrhea, preventing urinary tract infections, treating irritable bowel syndrome and managing and preventing eczema in children.
There is still a lot of research that has to be done about probiotics in order to fully understand what they do for our body. However, as long as you consult your doctor and figure out what strand of probiotics you need, you should be able to find the right balance that will improve your health. Don't forget that an eFoodsDirect.com promotion code can help you save on foods that contain these beneficial microorganisms.
If you and your friends have regular dinner parties, you know it takes a lot of planning to keep things interesting. After so many gatherings, the same foods and decor can get boring. However, if you're looking to spice up your next evening soiree, it's easy to achieve perfection by introducing fondue to the menu. You can save on supplies with an Artisanal Cheese promotion code, then use these tips for the perfect meal.
What is fondue?
According to GourmetSleuth.com, the word "fondue" comes from the French word "fondre," which means "melt." The delicious dish originated in Switzerland back in the 18th century, when cheese and wine were staple foods. The original version of fondue mixed at least two varieties of cheese with wine and flour. The mixture was served from a pot called a "caquelon" and morsels of bread were speared on long forks for easy dipping.
Gruyere and Emmenthaler were the two most common types of cheese used. They were combined with dry white wine, which helped to melt the cheese and add flavor, reports the news source.
Back in the late 1960s and early 70s, fondue became a food fad that was enjoyed in many households. These days, there are a variety of different ways to make the dish, and there are also dessert fondue recipes that use chocolate rather than cheese. A ChocolateSource.com promotion code for 10 percent off of your order could come in handy if you attempt to create a dessert fondue.
Because fondue is served in a communal pot, there are certain etiquette rules that apply, suggests GourmetSleuth.com. To eat fondue, you spear a piece of bread, fruit or vegetable and dip it into the sauce. You and your guests should twirl the fork around gently to coat the entire piece of food, then let the excess drip off into the pot before putting it in your mouth. This will prevent a mess and allow the hot fondue to cool before you eat it.
When you put the piece of fondue-coated food in your mouth, try not to let the fork touch your mouth. You may want to give your guests regular dining forks to take the food off of the fondue forks, so they won't have to worry about "double-dipping."
Other types of fondue
Aside from cheese and chocolate fondue, there are also broth and oil fondues, which cook the morsels of food that are dipped into the pot. In broth fondues, food is cooked in simmering broth, which can be vegetable- or meat-based. In oil fondues, the pot essentially becomes a deep-fryer, which can cook meat, seafood and vegetables. A variety of dipping sauces are often used to accompany the food, since the oil itself doesn't count as a sauce. A FoodSaver promotion code could get you discounts on your choice of dips. You might want to dry-battering the vegetables and seafood before dipping them, as this can seal in the juices.
What to dip
Once you decide what kind of fondue you want to serve at your dinner party, figure out what foods will be dipped. You could try the traditional pieces of bread - just make sure to use a crusted type, which will help the pieces stay on the fork. For oil or broth fondues, vegetables like carrots, potatoes, turnips and asparagus are all viable options. Cut them into bite-sized morsels for easy dipping. Meatballs, chicken cutlets, sausage, fish and shrimp can also make great dippers. It all depends on what your guests would prefer.
Foods used to be pretty straightforward. You'd go into a grocery store and see areas for dairy, fruits and vegetables, cereals, breads, meats and frozen goods. A FoodSaver promotion code could buy you all of the essentials. Now, stores are featuring all kinds of new items that include organic, low-fat, sodium-free, dairy substitutes, vegan and gluten-free foods. It's hard to keep track of what's what.
Over the past several years, gluten-free diets have been all the rage. It seemed like suddenly there was a new enemy in town: gluten. But what exactly is it?
"Gluten is a special type of protein that is commonly found in rye, wheat, and barley," explains WiseGeek.com. "Therefore, it is found in most types of cereals and in many types of bread." It's what makes bread chewy and elastic, giving it its unique structure. Not all grains have it, which is why it's easy to get confused. Foods like wild rice, quinoa, corn, buckwheat, millet, oats and soybeans don't contain any gluten, so they're safe to buy with anAlegroFoods.com promotion code for those who are on a gluten-free diet.
According to the news source, it's possible to remove most of the gluten from wheat flower, but impossible to get rid of all of it. As a result, The Food and Drug Administration considers foods to be gluten-free if they have a certain amount removed. Many of the items you see labeled "gluten-free" still contain a certain amount oft material. When it's removed from bread, the food loses a lot of its characteristic shape and texture.
History of the gluten-free diet
Before gluten-free foods started showing up everywhere, diets without gluten were a medical staple for individuals suffering from celiac disease. This autoimmune condition makes people intolerant to gluten. If they eat something containing it, the lining of their small intestines becomes inflamed and damaged. Nutrients can no longer be absorbed, which can lead to malnutrition and weight loss. A number of uncomfortable symptoms are also associated with celiac disease, such as diarrhea, bloating, upset stomach and abdominal pain.
After patients stopped eating foods with gluten in them, their intestines repaired themselves. As a result, doctors had no problem recommending gluten-free diets.
Recently, more people have been complaining about negative responses to gluten. Gluten sensitivity is seen as a separate condition from celiac disease because the intestines don't appear to be damaged. According to a study published in BMC Medicine, about 10 percent of the general population is sensitive to gluten - compared to the 1 percent of people who have celiac disease.
Celiac disease has been on the rise in recent years, and many doctors point to hygiene as the cause. Now that we generally live in cleaner environments, children aren't exposed to the same antigens while their immune systems are developing. If the intestines haven't been taught to deal with these antigens, the immune system won't tolerate gluten.
Although gluten-free diets are becoming necessary for more people, others have embraced the diet without experiencing any sensitivity to gluten. For example, back in 2008, Oprah Winfrey went on a "21-day cleanse," reports USA Today. She eliminated foods like meat, dairy, sugar, caffeine and gluten to become healthier.
Going gluten-free has become synonymous with a healthier lifestyle over the past decade. Some people believe that eliminating gluten can boost their health and energy, help them lose weight and allow them to cope better with certain conditions like headaches, autism and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). However, that doesn't necessarily mean it's true. You might be better off using a Modell's promotion code to save on exercise equipment, because working out is a proven way to get fit.
According to USA Today, many of these fad dieters simply feel better because they're eating less processed foods and fast foods, which typically contain gluten. It's not really the lack of gluten itself that's benefiting them - it's that they're eating more fruits and vegetables.
As a result of the gluten-free diet's popularity, many manufacturers have begun to make gluten-free foods. Back when the diet was primarily used for celiac disease patients, there weren't many products available that boasted gluten-free ingredients. This is a good thing for those who are gluten-intolerant, as aneFoodsDirect.com promotion code can now help them save money on a variety of gluten-free specialty items.
However, USA Today warns that a gluten-free diet can have its pitfalls. For one, specialty foods are often more expensive, much like organic fruits and vegetables cost more than their traditional counterparts. Also, many gluten-free manufacturers rely on fat to replace gluten, which can mean more calories. Those who don't eat gluten may also find themselves lacking certain vitamins, so a Vitamin Shoppe promotion code may be necessary to save on supplements. This is because gluten-free foods aren't fortified with vitamins the way grains are.
If you've been noticing stomach issues or have felt uncomfortable after eating foods that contain gluten, you might want to head to your doctor. You can get tested for celiac disease, but as of now there's no way to determine if you're sensitive to gluten. Going gluten-free might be a good way to make yourself feel better if you're experiencing symptoms, but it isn't likely to help you much if you're not intolerant to gluten.
If you're looking for ways to get healthier, you don't necessarily have to turn to expensive gluten-free foods. Instead, just focus on eating natural foods that aren't processed. Use a Sunfood promotion code to stock up on veggies and fruits to add to your meals. Remember that more often than not, the less ingredients a food has, the better it is for you.
Mother’s Day is just around the corner. Having trouble trying to figure out what to get Mom this year? If so look no further, here are some ideas that any Mom will love for any budget. Some of the top gift ideas are flowers, personalized gifts, jewelry, handmade gifts from the little ones, pampering gifts or gift cards. Flowers are always a go-to for Mother’s Day gifts. Women love getting flowers, whether it is a dozen roses delivered from the florist or fresh flowers picked from the yard by their children. Flowers have a way of making you feel special and really awaken the senses. What woman doesn’t love personalized gifts? Personalized gifts have extra sentimental meaning because you took the extra time to truly make it hers. Almost everything can be personalized; some common personalized gifts are monogrammed tote bags, cellphone or iPad cases, jewelry, wall art and more. Jewelry is another popular gift. There is such a wide array of jewelry on the market today, ranging from inexpensive fashion jewelry to high-end diamonds in platinum. Another option, and often overlooked is getting Mom a pampering gift. A pampering gift can be anything that Mom would love to have but usually will not by for herself. Ideas for pampering gifts would be a massage, a manicure and pedicure, getting her hair styled, a day to herself at the beach, or even something as simple as cleaning the house & cooking dinner for her. Gift cards are always an easy solution for hard to buy for Mom’s or for those of you that like to wait to the last minute. You can get a gift card to just about anywhere, dining, shopping, attractions and services. Perhaps the best gift to give a mom is something that her child has made for her. Handmade cards or art will always hold a special place in Mom’s heart and is something she will cherish forever. Now that you have some ideas on what to get Mom for Mother’s Day, be sure to look online for money saving coupons and promotion codes. Be sure to look for 1-800-Flowers.com, Personalization Mall, Ross-Simons and SpaFinder promotion codes for the best deals.
If you're a woman who’s dreading the upcoming Hallmark holiday, don't worry - you're not alone. Many people think the day of love is like a couples awareness day - pointing the spotlight on who’s in a relationship and who’s not. You could spend February 14, wrapped up on your couch moping with a pint of ice cream or you can make the best of V-day.
Who says you need a man in your life to indulge in some treats? It might be nice receiving chocolate or flowers from a secret someone, but you could seize the moment and give yourself a gift of your own! With a Ghirardelli Chocolate promotion code, you can save money on sweet treats.
Share the love
Although you may not have a significant other at the moment, chances are, there are many people in your life who you care about. Valentine's Day doesn't have to be about showing love to a specific sweetheart, so why not send a loving note to your family? You could also use the day to reach out to old friends who you may have lost touch with. A simple card or treat could improve someone’s spirits. Using a Hallmark promotion code, you can purchase a card for family or friends without emptying your wallet.
It's possible that you're not the only one feeling lonely this time of year. Instead of being sad about your nonexistent love life, contact a charity to see if it needs volunteers. Maybe you could use the weekend to give back and help people in need.
February 14 doesn't have to be a day that you dread anymore.
The Hallmark holiday is right around the corner and it might be causing you to worry about what to get your significant other. While the day can turn into a letdown if you're not prepared, that doesn't have to be a problem if you think ahead. If you're running low on ideas, fear not, help is here.
This go-to gift is always an easy answer. Why, you may wonder? Because it's nearly foolproof. Most women love a beautiful bouquet of flowers. If you somehow figure out her favorite kind before the big day, you'll get extra brownie points. With a 1-800-Flowers.com Promotion Code, you can save money on your sentimental purchase.
There is something cute and classic about a simple handmade note. Yes, maybe it seems very "second grade" of you, but your sweetheart might appreciate the endearing nature. Not to mention, she’ll appreciate the time it took for you to create a craft of your own.
Purchase personalized M&Ms or fortune cookies for your boyfriend or girlfriend. You can add thoughtful feelings words to them and make them even more special.
It could be chocolate or some other treat, the truth is - both ladies and gents love the opportunity to spoil their sweet tooth. Get a big box of chocolates or an assortment of your significant other's favorite candies and you can consider your gift a success! With a My Dove Chocolate Promotion code you can save money on your chocolate purchase.
Valentine's Day doesn't have to be a burden for couples - with a few simple gestures the holiday can be meaningful and fun.
If you've noticed that your locks are looking less lustrous lately, it may be time to change up your styling routine. Hair that's been over-processed and over-styled can look dull because of product buildup and heat damage. With a Hair Care USA promotion code, you can save on everything you need to get healthier tresses. Here's how to do it.
1. Shampoo. According to Health Magazine, it's best to wash with a volumizing shampoo most days of the week, then switch to a clarifying shampoo on the other days to remove buildup and residue that can make your hair look flat. Use a HairProducts.com promotion code to find big savings on your choices.
2. Conditioner. For bouncier hair, use a volumizing conditioner every day, but only apply it from the middle to the ends of your strands. Because conditioner can leave behind oils, it's best to keep it away from your roots in order to get more body.
3. Dry shampoo. Even if your style looks great when you leave in the morning, it might fall flat later on due to oil and humidity. A quick fix, according to the news source, is to use dry shampoo on your roots. It will get rid of any weighty oil and add thickness to your hair.
4. Haircut. It's important to get the right cut for your texture in order to have the healthiest looking hair. Remember that layered styles work best to create volume, and longer hair is harder to add body to because it's naturally heavy. A TheHairStyler.com promotion code can get you 10 percent off when you sign up.
5. Back-comb for more volume. An easy way to volumize your hair is to back-comb the sections on top. All you have to do is brush your hair in the opposite direction you normally would with a fine-toothed comb. Just don't go back and forth, as this could damage the strands of hair.
There's nothing worse than realizing your hair is getting thinner. Hair loss can be the result of many things, like hormonal changes caused by age, side effects of sickness or medication or even excess stress. While it's certainly not something you want to deal with, there are plenty of ways you can cope with the problem if it develops. A Hair Care USA promotion code can help you save on the products you need. Here are a few maintenance suggestions from Fox News.
1. When you notice thinning hair, go easy when drying it. Rubbing your head with a towel too vigorously can cause damage and might break off brittle hairs. Pat your hair dry or use a blow dryer on low heat instead.
2. Keep your hair short. Even if you've have long hair for a while, it's time to cut it once you notice any thinning locks. Longer styles will only make your hair loss look more obvious - think of how many guys try that comb-over situation and fail to fool anybody.
3. Use a thickening product. Shampoos, conditioners and creams can help pump up your strands and give them more volume, making your hair look thicker. Use a HairProducts.com promotion code to save on what you need.
4. Don't use too many styling products. Loading on the gel, hairsprays and pastes will only weigh your hair down and make your strands stick together, exposing the bare areas. Go easy when you want a bit of hold.
5. Try a hair loss prevention product. There have been many advances in hair loss science in recent years, so there's a chance you could see improvement if you start a regimen. Look for something that can help to regrow hair while also preventing further losses. An OnlyHairLoss.com promotion code can get you free shipping on certain orders.
Lastly, don't be too self-conscious about your hair loss. It happens to a lot of people, so it's nothing to be embarrassed about. In fact, Fox News reports that it's normal to lose about 100 strands of hair every day. If you're noticing more than that in your comb or shower drain each morning, all you have to do is try a few products or seek help from a hair loss professional.
Not all women consider lipstick a go-to makeup product, possibly because they think it's too bold for everyday wear or too difficult to apply. However, once you get used to the idea of lipstick and figure out the best way to wear it, you may find that it will become a signature staple of your beauty regimen. With a Beauty Bridge promotion code, you can get 5 percent off of your first purchase as well as several free samples. Here are some tips from Allure Magazine to help you pull off colorful lips.
1. Choose a shade that complements your skin tone. You have to determine whether you look good in warm or cool shades, then use that information to pick out specific colors of lipstick. A good way to figure this out is by looking at your jewelry choices. Women with a cool complexion generally have pink undertones and look good in silver jewelry. Ladies who are warm-toned often have yellow undertones and can pull off plenty of gold jewelry. Whichever metal you have more of in your collection should determine whether you’re warm or cool toned.
2. Before you apply lipstick, it's important to exfoliate. This will get rid of any flakes that could be dramatized with color and it helps the formula stick. Use a BeautyTrends promotion code to save on lip buffers.
3. Don't worry too much about lining your lips. According to the news source, most modern lipsticks don't bleed, so there's no reason to prevent it from happening.
4. To ensure an even application, don't worry too much about being precise. Instead of carefully filling in your lips, swipe lipstick in the center of your lips, rub them together and smudge the edges a bit.
5. Blotting is essential. Pick up a shade of lipstick for cheap with a Beauty.com promotion code and apply one coat before blotting. One more coat will stick better to the base and will provide long-lasting shine and coverage.
If you were one of the many who made the resolution to lose weight and keep it off, this article is for you. For many of us the idea of losing weight, getting healthier and living a more active lifestyle sounds promising after the weight gained throughout the previous year and holiday season. So January 1st has come and gone and how are you keeping that resolution to lose weight & get in shape. Some of us have been dedicated and have achieved this resolution, where as some of us only kept it going for a few weeks or a month at the most. With that said here are few tips to either keep that momentum going or to ease your way back into getting on track with dieting and exercising. One of the simplest things you can do to lose weight is to swap those high calorie sodas for water or another calorie free beverage. Try to keep your beverage consumption to less than 5 calories per serving, that way you are not wasting your calories on liquids. You should also eat small snacks and meals throughout the day, instead of grazing. This will help keep your metabolism going and help you feel like you aren’t starving yourself. Another important tip is to keep a food journal of everything you consume during the day. Once you see in writing what and how much you are eating, it will help you realize just how much you really are eating and encourage you to eat better. Be sure to include anything you drink, eat or put in your mouth. Believe it or not a bite of cake here, a piece of candy there, a taste or two of what you are preparing for dinner can add up throughout the day, although it doesn’t seem like a big deal at the time. In addition to your food journal, you should track the amount of exercise you do throughout the day. Log the 15 minute walk you did on your lunch break as well as the intense workouts done at the gym. If eating out is your weakness, order kid’s meals when going through the drive-thru, that way you can still have that burger & fries you are craving without the extra calories of the value meal. Or when going out to dinner ask for a to-go box when you place your order. Once your meal has arrived, go ahead and put half of your meal in the box to have for lunch tomorrow. Doing this allows you to enjoy your meal without overeating. Start by slowly integrating these tips into your daily routine, after a few weeks these will become habit and just be second nature to you. For money saving tips and coupons look for Weight Watchers and eDiets.com promotion codes.
As we grow older, our knees are often the first body parts that show signs of age. Even if you're not a professional athlete, your knees require care in order to remain in top shape. Use these tips and a Modell's promotion code to make the most of your exercise routine and shape up those knees.
1. Stretch before you exercise. Even if you're just going for a walk, it's crucial to stretch and warm up before you set out, reports Fitness.com. Doing so can increase the blood flow and lymph fluid into and out of your joint, ensuring that your muscles and ligaments aren't tight.
2. Do exercises that target the often under-used areas that support the knee, suggests Active.com. This includes your hamstrings, quadriceps, lower back and gluteal muscles. Research the moves that would work best, then use a Sportsmith promotion code to save on the necessary equipment.
3. Avoid doing too much exercise. Overuse is often the cause of knee pain, so it's important to take it easy when you think you've been working too hard. Your knees will appreciate the break.
4. Maintain a healthy weight. If you're carrying around excess weight, your knees are bearing the brunt of it. It's a good idea to lose those extra pounds so you can take the burden off of your knees and reap plenty of other benefits. If you need help, use a Weight Watchers promotion code to save 30 percent on your first month of membership.
5. Protect your feet. How your feet touch the ground has a direct impact on your knees, so it's important to wear the proper shoes when exercising. Look for plenty of cushioning, and take care of any foot problems that may arise, like blisters or bunions.
According to the official American Heart Association website, more women die of heart disease than all forms of cancer combined.
"Heart disease takes the lives of far too many people in this country, depriving their families and communities of someone they love and care for - a father, a mother, a wife, a friend, a neighbor, a spouse. With more than 2 million heart attacks and strokes a year, and 800,000 deaths, just about all of us have been touched by someone who has had heart disease, heart attack or a stroke," Kathleen Seblius, Department of Health and Human Services Secretary, told the Center for Disease Control and Prevention.
One out of every three deaths in the United States is a result of heart disease and stroke, adding up to about 2,200 deaths every day. Use American Heart Month to gain awareness about heart disease and take preventative steps. By using an eFoodsDirect.com promotion code, you can save money on foods that encourage healthy eating.
"An apple a day keeps the doctor away," is a popular phrase that you've probably heard before, but did you know an apple can help fight heart disease? Red apples help to deliver the most antioxidants, which combat stress and other leading causes of cardiovascular problems. Apples have pectin, a fiber that works in conjunction with phyonutrients, to help deliver cardiovascular benefits, according to MSN.
Most beans are a healthy source of protein, but garbanzo beans provide many benefits. These beans help lower cholesterol and the high fiber content stops blood sugar from rising to high levels after eating. The beans also have soluble fiber, heart-protective antioxidants and omega-3 fatty acids.
Fresh or frozen fruits and vegetables offer many advantages for a healthier lifestyle. Foods like spinach, carrots and berries are full of beneficial vitamins and minerals. Blueberries are a notable fruit that can improve cholesterol levels and prevent damage that could lead to clogged blood vessels.
The American Heart Association emphasizes the importance of eating healthy, but they also encourage people to be physically active. Exercising regularly can benefit the heart. The website suggests people walk, jog, swim or bike for about 150 minutes per week. With a Bally Total Fitness promotion code you can save money on a gym membership.
By following these tips you can remain in good health and prevent future heart problems.
Many times people need a little something extra to give their workout routine a boost during the winter season. The cold temperatures and biting air can be enough to make anyone want to remain indoors, but you don't want to become one of those people who packs on the extra pounds of winter weight this season. Although there are only a few weeks left of the snowy season, it's not too late to pick up a new hobby. With an Eastern Mountain Sports promotion code, you can prepare to become a snow bunny with some new winter gear.
Adventurers should determine if they are ready to travel down a mountain on a pair of skis or a snowboard before beginning the experience. Consider taking a beginner’s lesson for both to determine which activity you're more passionate about.
While both skiing and snowboarding, beginners as well as experts can expect to do their fair share of falling. You should learn the technique of the new activity as well as how to fall properly. You don't want to be tumbling down the mountain because of a bad fall. Whenever possible, try to fall uphill, especially when snowboarding, as this can minimize injuries.
Skiing and snowboarding can be a fun outing for both friends and families. Take a weekend trip to a ski chalet and experience the joys of the snowy outdoors. Save money on your stay with a Radisson Hotel promotion code.
Sign up for a lesson and you'll be on your way to speeding down the mountain in no time. With this new hobby you'll be counting down until the next snowfall. Why not give yourself something to look forward to in the long-lasting winter season?
Valentine's Day is right around the corner, which means it's a great time to stock up on everything you'll need to celebrate the holiday with pizzazz. If you're looking for great ways to get your kids involved, there's nothing more fun than Valentine's Day crafts. Whether you help them out with decorations, cards or gifts, a Crafts2U promotion code could get you deals on the materials you need. Here are a few fun ideas to try.
Store-bought valentines can be expensive, which is why you might want to help your little ones decorate their own cute cards for their classmates. MarthaStewart.com recommends creating hand-shaped cards out of construction paper. Just have your kids trace their hands on a colorful sheet, then carefully cut them out with scissors. Attach a piece of candy, a few decorations and write a fun message. "You're hands-down my favorite Valentine" is a good starter.
Flowers are a nice gift for any holiday. Have your kids give their teacher a small potted plant for Valentine's Day and save with a ProFlowers promotion code. While these blooms are great on their own, it might be cute to have your children paint the pots themselves. Grab a set of acrylic paints and let them go to town.
Baking cookies is a great way to prepare for any occasion, and Valentine's Day is no different. You can create festive sugar cookies by using heart-shaped cookie cutters and plenty of red, pink and white sprinkles and frosting. A Candy.com promotion code can get you deals on more edible decorations.
Whether you make them out of fabric or paper, Valentine's Day garlands are the perfect addition to any room that needs a bit of extra flair. Have your kids cut out hearts and let them be creative with the decorations. Glitter, buttons, candy and anything else you can provide will work well. Punch holes on either side of the hearts, then string them together with yarn to make a festive banner.
If your refrigerator is covered with pictures and important notices, it might be the perfect place to add a few decorations for Valentine's Day. Magnets are easy to make. Just buy a few wooden hearts at your local craft store, as well as several magnets. Let your children decorate the hearts with paints and glitter, then glue the magnet to the back. A CreateForLess promotion code could get you 70 percent off of closeout craft supplies.
As a cute way to spruce up your kids' outfits on Valentine's Day, MarthaStewart.com suggests creating button covers out of felt. Stock up on a few different colors of felt and cut out hearts that are a bit bigger than the buttons on your children's clothes. Next, fold them in half vertically and cut a small horizontal slit in the middle. You'll be able to slip the hearts right over the buttons.
Valentine's Day mailbox
Get your children riled up for their valentines by helping them create a fabulous mailbox for the occasion. Use a FaveCrafts promotion code to get discounts on paints, glitter, fake flowers and ribbons, then buy a plain mailbox that can temporarily replace your current box. Help them glue on decorations, then set up the box outside. They'll love seeing it as they pass by the house.
For many people, personal interests make for some of life's most gratifying moments. Hobbies can take individuals to a variety of places and provide unique and exciting experiences. Whatever you do for a hobby, you (hopefully) truly enjoy doing it. However, not everyone has found rewarding activities to pursue. If you haven't yet found something to entertain yourself with during your time off, you should test out a few different options. With a HobbyTron.com promotion code, you could even save money on getting yourself started.
1. Gardening. Not everyone has a naturally green thumb, but if you haven't yet tried to cultivate your own plants, you'll never know if you do. Many people find it relaxing and interesting to plant flowers, vegetables and fruits and watch as they mature. There are a wide variety of plants to choose from, like bonsais and orchids. A Bonsai Boy of New York promotion code could get you discounts on start-up materials.
2. Building models. Making models is a great way to hone your artistic and craftsmanship skills. It's challenging to to build a full-sized object from so many smaller parts, but it's also fun to use your creativity. Use a Diecast Models Wholesale promotion code to get the kit you need, then get to work on creating a masterpiece.
3. Photography. These days, it's relatively easy to be an amateur photographer. Digital cameras come packed with exciting software and features that can help you create dazzling images in no time. Once you've developed a couple of pictures you're really proud of, you can then use these photographs to decorate your living space, or give them out as gifts so others can share your vision.
4. Writing. If you have a pretty good grasp of language and grammar, as well as an active imagination, writing is a plausible hobby. You don't need completely unique ideas to write something worth reading - your own experiences will likely do the trick as long as you spin them with a creative angle. Start by keeping a journal every day and see where it takes you.
5. Scrapbooking. If you have an eye for design and a desire to preserve your treasured memories, scrapbooking could be a great way to pass the extra time. For every big event, you could create a book to keep track of everything that happened, much like a photo album. Stock up on paper, stickers and other supplies with an Everything 4 Scrapbooking promotion code.
6. Dancing. Although ballet may be the first thing that comes to mind when you think of dancing, there are actually many other forms that aren't so rigorous. Jazz, tap, hip-hop, swing, tango, waltz and polka are just some of the many ways to get your feet moving on the dancefloor. It's fun to learn how to move in new ways, and even better when you're doing it to music.
7. Ancestry. Many people like to trace their family back through the ages. It's interesting to know who you're related to and what events helped shape your family's history. While it often takes a lot of hard work to find out missing links and string branches of your family tree together, this makes building one a rewarding experience. An Ancestry.com promotion code can help you get started for less.
8. Playing an instrument. If you like listening to music, chances are you wouldn't mind being able to play good tunes yourself. It's a challenging way to train your brain to learn new things, but it's also fun. There are plenty of instruments to choose from, and a variety of different music styles to emulate. You might even find yourself making a new genre if you get good enough.
9. Bike riding. Riding a bike is usually one of the first things elementary school children learn, but that doesn't mean it's easy. If you equip yourself with the right bicycle and the right gear, you could find yourself barreling down the side of a mountain or whizzing through city streets. As an added bonus, you'll be getting plenty of exercise.
10. Rock climbing. If you don't have a fear of heights, rock climbing may be a fun activity to try. Start small with an indoor climb so you can get your bearings, then branch out into bigger and better outdoor challenges. It may be nice to have a buddy come along who can watch your back.
11. Starting a collection. No matter what interests you, there's bound to be one or two things you can collect that relate. For example, if you like geology, starting a rock collection is a great way to learn about your subject and explore new ideas. A coin collection could also be a fun activity, as there are always new designs coming out. A GovMint.com promotion code could get you free shipping on your orders.
12. Metal detecting. There's nothing more exciting than discovery, and that's what you'll be doing each time you head outside with your metal detector. You may be able to uncover treasures you've never imagined or come across interesting pieces of history. A MetalDetectors.com promotion code could get you big deals on the necessary equipment.
13. Archery. If you're anything of a history buff, chances are you know how long archery has been around. The skill it takes to shoot a target from different ranges is an impressive thing to grasp. There are many places across the country that cater to those who'd rather shoot an arrow than a gun, so do a bit of research and get your hands on a bow.
14. Running. If you're looking for a great way to exercise, do a bit of traveling and have fun, you might find it by taking up running. You don't have to be perfectly in shape to get started - in fact, you might find that it's better to start with the skills of a beginner so you can see how far you progress. Pretty soon, you'll be mastering distances you never thought possible, and your body will show the results of your hard work.
15. Sewing. You can begin developing your craft skills and also start making useful clothing and accessories if you take up sewing. There are a variety of ways you can expand upon your creativity through thread and fabric. Use a The Stitchery promotion code to stock up on needles, thread, yarn and fabric so you can begin creating personalized items.
16. Cooking. Being able to prepare a wide variety of dishes is a wonderful feat to master, as it comes in handy practically every day. You'll be able to explore numerous cultures and cuisines while picking up useful hints to use around the kitchen. Your friends and family will also benefit if you decide to share your newly found talents.
17. Doing crossword puzzles. If you're somewhat of a trivia freak or simply have an abundant vocabulary, you could put your skill to use by doing crossword puzzles. Many newspapers and publications offer daily games, so you'll never run out of new opportunities to show off and improve on your knowledge.
18. Aquarium building. If you're a fan of nature and wouldn't mind bringing a few of life's natural wonders into your living space, you could find it rewarding to build your own aquarium. You can watch as marine life grows and interacts, learning all about the environment, species and conditions at the same time.
19. Home brewing. Curious beer drinkers are always on the lookout for new brews to try, and if you're one of them, you might find it satisfying to create your very own lager or ale. Within the comforts of your own home, you'll have a blast experimenting with new ingredients and techniques.
20. Blogging. Figuring out what you're going to say is the hard part, but if you enjoy writing and think you have a few good ideas people will be interested in reading, you may find it worthwhile to start a blog. Once you start to gain a following, you never know what could happen.
No matter what you choose to pursue, hobbies are a great way to relax, have fun and enjoy life when you're not at work. Whether you do things by yourself or enlist a friend to explore new areas with you, you may find that your entire outlook becomes a bit more upbeat just by indulging your interests. Don't forget that using a ConsumerCrafts.com promotion code can save you money on everything you need to get started on your new hobby and enrich your daily life. Making yourself happy by doing what you want doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg.
Many things in life can cause stress and anxiety. From career responsibilities to family situations, people can often be overwhelmed by stressful situations. While it's impossible to eliminate every stress-causing event from life, there are certain steps you can take to stay relaxed.
When trying to eliminate stressful situations, it's important to identify the things that cause you to feel anxious or uneasy. Do certain people cause you to feel stressed out? Does your boss make you feel uneasy? Make a list of the top reasons why you feel stressed and see if any of these causes can be eliminated. If a friend makes you feel uncertain, spend less time with that person. Unfortunately, some stressors can't be eliminated, but after you've established what they are, you can work to make them less overwhelming.
Whether you take a yoga class or spend a half-hour on the treadmill, sometimes exercise can help eliminate stress. With a 24 Hour Fitness promotion code, you can receive 10 percent off when you spend $50 or more at Mystore by 24 Hour Fitness.
Write it down
Sometimes when you're in the heat of a stressful or angry situation, you can say things you don't mean. In order to avoid saying something you may regret later, you should write down your thoughts and feelings. Keeping a journal or diary can also help people to express their thoughts. If something is upsetting you, write in down in a notebook and you can get it off your mind. With a Target promotion code, you can save $5 on a $50 purchase at Target.com, so purchase a notebook to keep your thoughts in.
A recent study showed that the way people cope with stress is directly linked to the amount of green space in their area. The more greenery in the environment, the less stressed a person will be, according to the study.
"For the first time, researchers have worked with unemployed people from deprived areas and used scientific tests to show that where there is more green space around, people's stress levels were measurably lower, while less green space was linked with signs of the body's hormones not working properly," said Katharine Ward Thompson, director of the OPENspace research center.
With a Cut-N-Edge Lawn promotion code, you can save money on your next aeration project to ensure that your grass stays green.
People often procrastinate. Whether it's a project at work or the need to grocery shop, many times people put it off. If you allow too many things to pile up, you will likely feel overwhelmed later. Find ways to finish your tasks before the last minute and you can eliminate unnecessary stress.
Being late can cause feelings of anxiety. Rushing around trying to get somewhere on time can make you feel worried and stressed out. If you practice being five minutes early to an important meeting or event, you can eliminate this stressor. With a TheWatchery.com promotion code, you can save up to 80 percent on clearance watches.
While multi-tasking can be beneficial, sometimes it can cause more stress than good. If you're distracted from tasks, you will eliminate your productivity and feel stressed because you're not getting anything done. Focus on one task at a time and you will likely feel less overwhelmed.
Simplicity is key to a stress-free life. From your to-do list to your weekend plans, you can make your life easier with a simpler routine.
With these steps, you can help eliminate the feelings of anxiety in your life.
If you like gardening, you're probably open to new challenges that will put your green thumb to the test. Maintaining a backyard garden and a house plant or two is all well and good, but there's nothing like caring for a bonsai tree. If you're not familiar with these plants, here's some information and tips to help you get started. Once you've read up, use a Bonsai Boy of New York promotion code to save on your trees.
Bonsai is an ancient Asian art form that has been captivating garden enthusiasts for centuries. According to BonsaiEmpire.com, the art originated in China despite the term itself being Japanese. At first, only society's elite were allowed to practice growing dwarf trees in containers, and they were spread throughout the country as beautiful gifts. Japan was eventually introduced to the concept and ran with it, creating the techniques that people still use today.
Part of the magic of bonsai is training the trees to take on a certain shape or style. Here are a few different forms that are popular in the art of bonsai.
1. Broom style. These tiny trees have straight trunks that branch out in all directions, forming a ball-shaped crown, reports BonsaiEmpire.com.
2. Formal upright style. This common form has a tapered trunk that grows thinner with height. Branches grow evenly on either side.
3. Informal upright style. The tapered trunk of this form grows in an "S" shape and has branching at every curve.
4. Slanting style. This form grows at a 60-80 degree angle relative to the ground. The first branch grows opposite of the direction of the tree to create a visual balance.
5. Cascade style. This form is difficult to achieve because it grows downward and is typically planted in tall pots.
6. Literati style. These trees have tall, crooked trunks with no branching except at the top. The idea is to showcase the bonsai's struggle to survive.
7. Windswept style. The trunk and the branches of this style all lean in one direction.
8. Double trunk style. This form has two trunks growing out of one root system, or a small trunk growing out of a larger one. Both trunks contribute to a single crown of branches.
9. Multitrunk style. This is like the double trunk style, only three or more trunks may be part of the form.
10. Shari style. These trees develop barkless areas that become bleached with sunlight. Gardeners achieve this effect with a knife and calcium sulfate. You can pick up these materials for less with aDirectGardening promotion code.
Pruning is necessary in order to achieve the styles listed above, reports BonsaiSite.com. This will maintain the shape of the tree and encourage new growth. To correctly prune your bonsai, it's best to research the specific plant you're using to find out when pruning is ideal. New growth is generally pruned during the growing season in the spring, while old growth is pruned during the fall.
How often you water your bonsai depends on a variety of factors, such as the type of tree you're growing and the environment you put it in. It's easy to monitor the moisture levels of your bonsai just by touching the soil - if two inches of the soil is dry, it's time to water it. During hot weather, you may need to water once a day. During winter, you won't have to do it as much. Look into buying containers that will protect your bonsai with a SimplyPlanters promotion code.
Although it's not spring yet, your house may be due for a complete overhaul. Spending so much time indoors during the winter can wreak havoc on your organization and make the place much messier than normal. If you're ready to get back on track, use a Clean promotion code to get 10 percent off and free shipping on certain sized orders, then use these tips.
Make your own supplies
These days, many cleaning supplies are full of harmful chemicals that could potentially hurt the environment and also harm your family. Instead of relying on packaged cleaners, you could try making your own out of household materials that you probably already have. You'll be saving money and you might even find that these natural solutions work better.
1. Lemons. Believe it or not, lemons can do a lot of dirty work, according to Real Simple Magazine. The acids can remove dirt and rust stains, and when mixed with salt they can make a great scouring solution. As you probably guessed, lemons also make your home smell nice. You can use them all over your kitchen and even add lemon juice to your laundry to make your whites brighter.
2. Essential oils. Some essential oils can kill bacteria and mold. For example, tea tree oil can clean brushes, combs, toilets and scuffed floors. Lemon oil cleans shower doors, while lavender or lemongrass oil removes scum from windows. You might be able to save on these supplies with a The Natural Store promotion code.
3. Cooking oils. Oils like olive and sunflower can dislodge caked-on dirt and improve the look of scratches. Use them to clean cast-iron pans, leather shoes, stainless steel appliances and wooden furniture.
4. Borax. When added to your laundry, Borax can make your detergent more effective. It also kills mold and softens water, according to the news source. You could also use it to help clean china, walls and baseboards, pots and pans and the toilet.
5. Vinegar. You might not believe it, but vinegar is an all-star cleaning product. Distilled white vinegar is the most effective, so pick up a bottle and use it to clean floors, glassware, windows and shower heads.
6. Baking soda. This product can minimize odors in your fridge, and you can also use it to clean gardening tools, upholstered furniture, stained coffee mugs, stove burner grates and more.
7. Toothpaste. This stuff isn't only great for your teeth - it can clean your chrome bathroom and kitchen fixtures, scuffed linoleum, tarnished silverware and piano keys.
8. Salt. When added to lemons, essential oils or cooking oil, salt makes a great scrubber because of its fine texture. You can use it to scrub oven messes, cookware, wooden tables and glassware.
9. Ketchup. It sounds strange, but Real Simple Magazine claims that ketchup can help remove tarnish from copper and brass cookware. Just rub it on, then rinse it off.
10. Tea. If you soak dirty gardening tools in tea for a couple of hours, the grime will come right off. Use a Mighty Leaf Tea promotion code to save 25 percent on your first black tea order.
Sometimes, even when things aren't necessarily dirty, then seem so because they don't smell fresh. If you've noticed this in your home, use some of the following solutions.
1. Laundry. Sometimes items like bath towels can remain musty even after a wash. To get rid of the smell, the news source suggests spraying on some plain vodka, which will kill bacteria without leaving a scent. Hang up the materials to dry afterward.
2. Garbage disposal. A lot of food waste goes down there, so it's likely your kitchen sink doesn't smell too clean. To fix this, just run some hot water and let the disposal chew on something like orange, lemon or grapefruit rinds.
3. Freezer. Even if it's clean, your freezer could have a strange smell associated with it. Just use a cotton ball to wipe it down with some vanilla extract. You can deodorize your fridge with white vinegar and water, reports Real Simple Magazine.
4. Food containers. Sometimes, tupperware and jars can retain bad smells even after they're washed. Soak them in baking soda and water to get rid of the smell.
5. Carpet. Your rugs may get smelly, especially if you have pets. To solve the problem, sprinkle baking soda on the areas and let it sit for a few hours before vacuuming. A GoVacuum promotion code can ensure you have what you need.
To get the job done, you have to tackle every room. Here's what tasks to aim for in each area of your home, according to Better Homes and Gardens.
1. Bedroom. Flip your mattresses, wash your linens, comforters, bed skirts and mattress pads, clean your pillows, deep clean the carpet and eliminate any clutter.
2. Bathrooms. Get rid of old toiletries and makeup products that may have expired, use a Sally Beauty Supply promotion code to restock, throw out old prescriptions, replace worn bath mats and shower curtains.
3. Kitchen. Organize drawers and cabinets, throw out old food in the pantry, wipe shelves and clean the refrigerator and freezer.
4. Hallways. Eliminate clutter, wipe down baseboards, dust wall art, vacuum underneath area rugs and dust tables.
5. Living room. Put everything in its place, wipe down the TV, freshen up couches and chairs, clean tables and vacuum carpets.
6. Office. Organize supplies, clean out drawers, wipe down computer and dust shelves.
7. Closets. Donate or throw out old clothes, prepare your wardrobe for the season with a Macy's promotion code, eliminate clutter and dust the shelves.
8. Garage. Organize and clean tools, wash the floors, dust shelves and throw out anything that's broken or unused.
9. Porch. Wash the deck, re-stain the wood if it looks worn and get rid of anything that doesn't belong there.
10. Garden. Get rid of weeds, prune your plants, fertilize the soil and get started on any spring flowers and plants you're planning to grow.
Clean things you may not have thought of
Thoroughly cleaning your home takes more than what you'd normally do to freshen up your house. After the main items are all taken care of, Better Homes and Gardens suggests paying attention to areas like these, which you may not clean very often.
1. Windows. You might clean your sliding doors, but when's the last time you paid attention to the windows in the bathroom or living room? The news source suggests cleaning windows when it's cloudy. Otherwise the cleaning solution you'll be using might dry quickly, causing streaks.
2. Sliding door tracks. These can hold a lot of debris, so use an old toothbrush to loosen up grime, then suck it all up with your vacuum. A damp sponge afterward will ensure that it's good as new.
3. Baseboards, door frames, cabinets and walls. These surfaces can get grimy over time, so it's important to clean them every now and then with a good scrubbing.
4. Carpet. A thorough cleaning is necessary at least every year and a half. A Rug Doctor promotion code could get you a free cleaning package to make the job easier.
5. Beneath furniture. Lots of dust and dirt can accumulate underneath furniture and appliances, so move them out of the way and clean up everything that's under there.
6. Curtains. These can build up a lot of dust, so use the upholstery attachment on your vacuum to get rid of it, the news source suggests.
7. Light fixtures. Dead bugs and dust can accumulate here, so take the time to clean them. Make sure they're not hot and that your hands are dry.
8. The exterior of your house. Power washing your siding and windows will get rid of grime and prevent mold from accumulating. Hire a professional if you're not sure about doing it yourself.
9. Gutters. A lot of twigs, leaves and dirt can build up in your gutters - it's important to keep them clear so they can do their job. You should aim to do this at least twice a year.
10. Outdoor furniture. If you have a few chairs outside, it's a good idea to wash them in preparation for warmer months. You might want to touch up the paint job or reupholster the cushions.
Despite the fact that a complete house cleaning is time-consuming and tedious at times, you'll feel a lot better once your living space is freshened up. You and your family might start breathing easier, and once everything's tidy, there's a good chance it might stay that way. If you like the idea of a spring cleaning but don't have the time to do it yourself, a Great Green Cleaning and Maid Service promotion code could come in handy and save you money on cleaning services.
Are you looking for a new hobby to keep you busy in 2012? Sure, you love to watch television and spend time with your friends, but sometimes people need another activity to have fun. Studies show that knitting, crocheting and other needlework can provide tangible health benefits.
Scientists found that the repetitive motion of crocheting or knitting can help to manage and prevent stress, pain and depression. The winter months offer their fair share of gloom and after staring at a computer all day, few people want to go home and become television zombies. Why not learn to create a new scarf or hat to keep you warm during the snowy season?
The repetitive movements involved with knitting are said to activate areas of the brain similar to those stimulated by meditation and yoga. Knitting is a way to create a "relaxation response," in the body, according to Dr. Herbert Bendon, director of the Institute for the Mind, Body Medicine at Massachusetts General Hospital and associate professor of medicine at Harvard Medical School.
Knitting and crocheting can help calm the body and mind for people who suffer from symptoms of anxiety. Hobbies should be enjoyable as well as beneficial, and crocheting can lower blood pressure, relax your heart rate and help prevent illness. Sometimes starting a new hobby can be difficult, especially for people who have become accustomed to a routine, but the AllFreeCrochet promotion code can help you save money on your new pastime.
Instead of wasting time on the internet when you get home from work, relax with a project. Starting a scarf or hat from the beginning and working on it until it's finished can give you a sense of satisfaction that you won't find by turning on your favorite television program.
Knitting and crocheting can become a healthy habit that people use to replace other unhealthy pastimes. Many individuals knit to lose weight, stop smoking or wind down after a long day. If you often feel anxious or panicked, this soothing activity could prove beneficial as well.
In a world filled with stressful situations, sometimes people just need an outlet for their problems. Crocheting encourages relaxation, and the tense events that occur over the course of the day can virtually disappear with this hobby.
Every year millions of men and women watch the Super Bowl either for the commercials, to root for their favorite team, the half-time performance or an excuse to hang out with friends. On Feburary 5, 2012 two rivals will face each other for the 46th annual Super Bowl - where will you be?
Why not spend the evening with some of your closest friends and host a Super Bowl party of your own? This can prove to be a much more personal and enjoyable experience than heading to a crowded local bar or pub.
While hosting a party for friends can add up quickly, sometimes it's well worth the money spent to have a good time. Chances are snacks and drinks at home will be much cheaper than overpriced beers at the bar or expensive game seats. Furthermore, a Walmart promotion code could help you save money on all the odds and ends needed to throw a successful Super Bowl bash.
Few unofficial holidays can get both men and women equally pumped up, and these occasions need to be celebrated properly. Not to mention that hosting a fun party for your man right before Valentine's day may just work out in your favor.
Commercials like the pug running at the closed glass door might make the three hours of football worth it for women. The halftime show also tends to be favored by the female audience. World class entertainer, Madonna, will be performing for the 2012 Super Bowl. Men can gawk at the colliding helmets while women dance to the musings of the Material Girl.
One of the great things about holidays unofficial or official is the food. Thanksgiving has the turkey, Christmas has the ham and Superbowl Sunday has a little bit of everything. Keep the cost of hosting a party down by suggesting a potluck. Friends and family can bring their favorite dishes to share for the event. To be sure that every guest doesn't show up with chicken wings, ask guests to sign up for a certain dish before the party.
Chances are the male party guests will be more worried about the game than the decor, but women typically appreciate a little extra. Since half of your guests probably won't care about the extra steps you've taken to make the party special, keep the decorations simple and inexpensive. Craft Super Bowl centerpieces with team names or football designs. The fact is, most guests will be vying for the food, but a simple centerpiece can go a long way.
While the final teams have yet to be determined for the big game, chances are a few of your guests will harbor different opinions on who deserves the big "W." Suggest that your guests wear the attire of their favored team and really play up the competitive nature of the occasion - after all, a little competition helps the world go 'round. Guests could stand on separate sides of the room with pom poms or posters to really get into the spirit of the day.
Last but certainly not least, what's one thing that men and women love equally about football? If your answer is tailgating, then you got it right! The camaraderie and atmosphere that tailgating creates is difficult to duplicate. Grilling burgers and playing games of pick-up football are nearly impossible to do in a small living space. Try hosting a tailgate of your own with neighbors and friends outdoors. Just because you're not at the game doesn't mean you can't have a great time.
Whether you're the kind of gal who has never so much as thought about her wedding gown or you've been keeping a wedding scrapbook since grade school, planning for your big day is a massive undertaking. For many of us, an engagement feels like a dream come true, but turning that dream into reality can be a whole different story - filled with stress, anxiety, last-minute decisions and pressure from all sides about what kind of invitations or napkins to choose.
When it comes to your wedding, you don't want to let anyone down, but you also want to make sure that your special day is, well, yours. That means you don't have to cave in to your soon-to-be-mother-in-law's demands that you go with a long-sleeved wedding dress, but you should still take into account what your loved ones are asking for when it comes to your walk down the aisle.
Luckily, we're here to help you navigate this difficult task with a comprehensive guide to everything you need to be thinking about as the big day approaches.
1. The color scheme.
Everything else you do for your wedding - picking out flowers, centerpieces, bridesmaid dresses, invitations and so on - will depend on the colors that you choose for your ceremony.
There are literally thousands of options and combinations available when it comes to picking out wedding colors. Some people like a traditional black-and-white wedding, while others want vibrant pinks, reds and purples.
One thing to keep in mind when deciding on a color scheme is the season. Spring wedding? Pretty pastels are all the rage. If you're saying "I do" in the summer, bright oranges, greens and yellows could be for you. In the fall, you may want to opt for peach, champagne or crimson. And in the winter, jewel tones are to die for.
If you need a little more inspiration, there are many color boards available on the internet and in wedding stores to help you pick out a scheme that's flattering, unique and all your own.
2. The invitations.
You can't expect people to be present for your wedding if you don't invite them, which means the first step is mailing out invitations and save-the-dates to let your guests know that you want them present when you say "I do."
Picking out the right invitations can be fun, but it can also be a challenge. If you're all about simplicity and elegance, there are lots of traditional styles you can use that incorporate embossed fonts and pretty colors and patterns. If you're looking for something a little more out there, you can find plenty of non-traditional options that include pop-ups, tactile surprises and other little goodies.
Don't forget to match your invitations to your wedding's colors! And remember that you don't want to wait until the last minute to send them out - give guests a few months to make travel plans and accommodations for your ceremony.
And speaking of invitations, don't forget about thank-you notes. You can get a great deal on all kinds of wedding stationary with a Wedding Paper Divas promotion code.
3. The gown.
Ah, the wedding dress - one of the most iconic images of femininity in the Western world. Whether you want something timeless or you're looking to make a rock-star impression, there's a wedding dress for you.
For traditional brides who are looking for a gown that's modest and inoffensive, a long-sleeve gown could be the right option. Long sleeves will keep you warm in the winter or fall, and they're traditionally appropriate for religious ceremonies in churches where showing one's shoulders could be considered immodest. But don't think that a conservative gown has to be boring - some of history's most gorgeous brides have opted for long sleeves! Both Princess Diana and the Duchess of Cambridge Kate Middleton kept their arms covered when they said "I do" to their Prince Charmings.
For an outdoor ceremony, feeling the sun on your shoulders is a priority for many brides. Sleeveless gowns are especially popular these days, especially paired with ballgown hems that are enough to make any gal feel like a princess. If you prefer cap or sheer sleeves, many bridal salons can add them on to sleeveless styles, so be sure to ask about your options before you buy.
If you're getting married in the summer, you may even want to choose a short dress. There's no rule that says your wedding dress has to be floor-length, after all! A garden ceremony in June or July is the perfect place to sport a knee-length dress that's as sweet and adorable as it is feminine. And if you only want to show those gams for part of the wedding, some women opt for both a long and short dress and change in between the ceremony and reception.
When it comes to your wedding dress, the possibilities are endless - so don't give up until you find the perfect one.
4. The bridesmaids.
Choosing your bridesmaids is a difficult task for just about any bride. After all, you don't want anyone to feel left out - but you also don't necessarily have room for 14 other gals standing at the altar with you. If you're considering choosing from amongst your friends, you may want to take the family-only route - selecting only your own sisters, your fiance's sisters and your female cousins. If you know exactly who you want in your wedding - your college best friend, your sorority sisters, your childhood playmates and so on - be sure to ask them early so they can be sure to save the date. You can have as many or as few bridesmaids as you like, from just one or two to a dozen or more. And remember, you don't have to designate one a "maid of honor" unless you want to!
Once you've decided on your bridesmaids, you'll have to decide on their dresses. Bridesmaids dresses are notorious for being hideous, so don't fall victim to the allure of a dress that you like, but that's going to look awful on your more buxom best friend. And remember your wedding's color scheme - the bridesmaids dresses should fit right in.
If you've got stylish friends, you may opt to let them choose their own dresses. Non-matching bridesmaids gowns are trendy these days, so if that's something you want for your friends, just let them know what color family they should be looking for and let them hit the mall.
5. The venue.
Do you want to get married in a church? In a park? By the beach? In your parents' backyard? No matter where you dream of saying "I do," there's a venue that can make it a reality.
Some brides prefer a simple ceremony in a traditional place, like a church or a backyard. If you're luckily enough to have a childhood church that's gorgeous enough for your ceremony or a backyard that's big enough to hold all your guests, choosing a meaningful locale like these could be the right option for you.
Other brides want a lavish ceremony in a brand-new venue that's as elegant as it is gorgeous. Private estates and historic locales are great options for brides who want a lot of gravitas while they're exchanging vows.
Still others are all about nature - and they've always planned on getting married outdoors. Parks, beaches, gardens and vineyards are great options for a nature-loving bride who wants to feel the sun on her face throughout the ceremony.
Finally, for the bride who's all about adventure, there's the destination wedding. Paris? Peru? The Bahamas? Why not combine your wedding with your honeymoon?
No matter what you choose for your wedding - a winter ceremony in a church, a summer ceremony in a garden, a fall ceremony in Bermuda or anything else - the most important thing is that you're able to turn it into a fantasy come true. After all, this is one day that's all about you. But that doesn't mean you have to break the bank, especially with a The Knot Wedding Shop promotion code. Be savvy about what you buy, and your wedding day is sure to be a dream.
Decorating the home office and transforming it into a place you wish to spend time in can take some creative thinking. The space needs to remain functional, yet not become stark. A barren office can prevent work from getting done just as much as one that is too busy and distracting.
A conducive work space can include stimulating colors or memorabilia that assists in achieving the proper state of mind to produce quality work in an efficient manner. The home office does not have to be bland - try to incorporate functional and creative pieces into the design for the best result.
Here are a few pieces you may wish to consider purchasing in order to create the ideal home office.
Chair. The office chair should be ergonomically correct to facilitate proper posture to prevent sore muscles from happening by the end of a long work day. It should be comfortable and give proper lumbar support. Just remember, it is an office chair, not your couch or bed! An Office Chairs Unlimited promotion code for 5 percent off and free shipping can assist you in outfitting your office with a suitable option.
Desk. Which desk you choose to outfit your home office with can say a lot about your personality. A rolling top desk is very traditional, while a counter top in the middle of the room is more modern. An office desk should provide enough room for spreading out materials needed for work. An OfficeFurniture.com promotion code could help provide an incentive to find the perfect desk.
Wall art. Choosing the decorative accents that hang on your home office wall is very subjective. You can choose a painting, drawing, photographs, inspirational quote, tapestry or other various creative solutions to show off your individual style. Incorporating an entire wall mural or accent wall into the design has become popular in many modern offices. An Accent Studios promotion code offers 10 percent off of vinyl wall decals and designs, which may help decorate the space.
Plants. Many people find organic elements, such as plants, a soothing presence in the office. If you enjoy a little green, you may wish to bring plants into the room. Try putting them at tiered heights in an unused corner or hanging them from a wall. If your office has a distinctly oriental influence, maybe a bonsai tree would be appropriate. A Garden.com promotion code may offer a solution when purchasing your next nature accessory.
Bookshelves. This organizational tool can be helpful in a home office. If your home office requires storage, a bookcase can provide a versatile answer. It can hold books, baskets filled with utensils, mail and accessories. There is no end to useful applications for this office staple and they now come in unique styles to fit your intended office decor. A Bookcases Galore promotion code for 15 percent off your total purchase could assist you in affording the structure that will hold important documents, as well as favored trinkets.
These are just a few of the common items found in a home office that make the space both functional and expressive about the person who uses it. With a little research and exploring, your office can be as unique or traditional as you want it. Workers may wish to create a space that they are proud to call their own - after all, many spend more than eight hours a day in there.
Those who intend to work from home or start their own business will have to face and meet a number of challenges, one of which is the simple, but continuous task of keeping the business or home office appropriately furnished and supplied. Furnishings may be durable, but if a business grows, supplies remain a continuous, periodic expense.
Here are some possible business needs to consider:
1. The Basics. Any office-based operation will need desks, chairs, lighting fixtures and more just to keep the day-to-day operations moving. Even restaurants, salons and other specialized businesses will need at least a desk or two for someone to handle the bookkeeping. Despite current technology, many papers get signed by hand, which means it's important to organize hard copies of vital documents.
Of course, don't forget about that comfy chair! A Best Priced Office Furniture promotion code may help you find all the right furnishings to turn an empty space into a workplace.
2. Printing Supplies. They may be for yourself, employees, customers, or all of the above, but most businesses will need to print something. For example, if you're looking to take care of some research before a meeting or project, you might find yourself printing out documents to look at during a commute or glance at while travelling.
Looking at a hard copy might help you spot any mistakes in a project proposal or important memo before sending it out, and is also a way to review a restaurant's menu before having it printed. Consider using a 123 Ink Jets promotion code to reduce the cost of shipping new cartridges and printer supplies.
3. Business Cards. You never know when you may run into someone who will need your business. Whether this happens by striking up a conversation with a stranger on a bus or subway or meeting by chance through a mutual friend, potential clients are always out there.
However it happens, something as simple as a business card can give the impression that you're prepared, professional and ready to address someone's concerns. If your new acquaintance asks for your company's contact information, handing it to them is even better than writing it down. Try a 1800 Business Cards promotion code so you can enjoy a discount on one of the small necessities that so often turns an ordinary individual into an esteemed and financially successful entrepreneur.
The rise of modern technology is quickly making many things obsolete. Traditional telephones, television and even newspapers are quickly fading away because computers, the internet and smartphones are quickly rendering them unnecessary. Interestingly, something that once seemed an essential part of regular life may be coming to an end. A Virgin Media Business survey of workers throughout the country asked them their opinions on the workplace of the future, according to Management Today. The results show that 56 percent of employees foresee the elimination of physical offices by the year 2021.
A staggering change like that may once have seemed unreasonable. However, more and more people are finding it convenient and cost effective to perform most of their job from the comfort of their own home. Businesses are realizing that the savings involved in remote work could be astronomical, so the practice is gaining acceptance among employers. The only task that remains for employees is to design a home office and choose their new line of work.
A home office doesn't have to be complicated, and many of the comforts of a traditional office can be discarded. Something that is helpful - but not always possible - is to create an actual office in one's home. Simply using a bedroom, living room, dining room or kitchen can be distracting and off-putting. The best work possible is done in a place where only work is done. One place that is useful for remote work is the basement - it will usually lack distracting windows, and it is apart from the rest of the house and the items that might drag one's attention away from the task at hand.
Of course, the tool that makes working from home possible is the computer, and it is important to have a consistently reliable model that isn't prone to crashing. Many types of employers will even provide a computer, o ensure that it is up to date and can run any software necessary to make mobile employment possible. Even if a company will not pay for your computer, it may be possible to save a great deal of money on one. Besides searching for online promotion codes, it is likely that you can write your purchase off as a business expense.
A part of the home office that shouldn't be skimped on is the office furniture. Though you might not realize it at first, most commercial-grade office chairs are designed to make sitting at a desk for eight hours or more a comfortable and bearable experience. Simply try sitting in a hard, wooden kitchen chair for that long and you will see that regular offices have perfected sitting to a science. While it may become the most expensive chair in your house, a good office chair is incredibly valuable. Save money when purchasing it by searching online for a Best Priced Office Furniture Promotion Code.
Since working from home is completely dependent on information and communication, internet connection needs to be monitored carefully as well. Commercial-grade network connections are usually more expensive, so the nature of one's work from home needs to be analyzed carefully when selecting a broadband carrier. Simple data entry or copy writing probably won't put too much strain on a modem, but if large files are constantly downloading or streaming because one's industry is in media or a related field, a connection can become sluggish. Search for the best deals online that will ensure a swift internet connection without taking too much out of your paycheck. In some cases, an employer may also pay for internet connections to make sure that employees can finish all of their work in a timely fashion.
It is also important to bear one's physical and mental health in mind when deciding to work from home. In terms of your body, remember that your overall exercise will decrease. Even if the extent of your movements are to and from a car and occasionally up and down some stairs, it will be a great deal more than if you are only moving around throughout the house. It is important to take periodic breaks, and a brisk walk around the block every few hours will refresh a home worker and keep some measure of sanity.
The mental effects of working at home shouldn't be understated either. At first, it may seem strange to do work by oneself in the confines of a house. A good way to stay balanced is to go out for coffee or a snack in the middle of the day. Regular offices force some interaction on people, which keeps them feeling good. However, it is not difficult for frustration to rise when one goes a whole day without speaking to another human being.
Discovering the roots of our family trees is becoming increasingly popular throughout the world, but especially in nations built from immigration, such as the United States and Australia. Modern people are enthralled with the concept of discovering where and when their ancestors lived.
Were they poor potato farmers during the 19th century potato famines? Or British militia men occupying India? Maybe they were Russian merchants.
The possibilities are endless, and for many people the answers are a way to connect to where they came from. Some believe that by researching their family's ancestors, they will feel connected to the greater world and ultimately, themselves. In essence, they may believe that where you came from can determine who you are.
For others, the act of researching each familial thread is a grand puzzle without end. There are numerous lines to follow as families split to create their own hubs. Endless resources are available for those who wish to intensify the searches and authenticate each fact. Countless websites offer services to assist with the search or access databases transcribed from handwritten notations. If researchers are feeling a little more adventurous, they always have the option of calling ahead to a town or city records keeper and scheduling a trip to the last city they knew an ancestor lived in. Items such as birth and death certificates, house deeds and tax collection records can assist in tracing the travels of ancestors.
Whether you're interested in beginning your search or are an old pro, Ancestry.com promotion codes could help save you money in the pursuit for the missing links in your family tree.
If you recently managed to make your dreams come true by starting your own business, congratulations. Not many people get to be their own boss. Now that your plans have finally become a reality, it's time to make sure that your business is successful and that everything you've done to achieve your goal was worth it. One way you can make a huge step forward in your industry is by creating a website for your business. It's not as hard or expensive as you think it is, especially if you use a Hosting24 promotion code. If you get started in November, you could get a free domain and 20 percent off yearly and monthly packages. There's also a promotion code that can get you at least $2 off every month!
If you're not sure what a website can do for your business, here's a breakdown of what kinds of things you can accomplish by going online, courtesy of Web-eze.com.
1. A website for your small business can be a great way to control your image. If you design an attractive, easy-to-navigate site that users can find out a lot of information on, you'll look very professional. A website can make your business seem bigger than it really is, which can attract customers. To figure out what kinds of things you need to add to your website, you should look to your competitors. They probably already have websites, so check them out and see what features they offer - then make your site better!
2. Instead of wasting time and money developing brochures or print materials to advertise your products and services, you can easily put all of your information on the website. Since aspects of your business may be likely to change, it's more practical to keep updating online rather than by print. Your customers will be able to keep up with what's going on without getting a ton of mail or phone calls.
3. Online, your business is open even when your store isn't. You'll still be able to attract new customers, take orders, and reach out to a global audience even when you're at home enjoying your down time. It's like having an employee who works for you 24/7!
4. You don't have to stay local once you make a website. You'd have a hard time marketing yourself to a global or even national audience if your business didn't exist online. A website will allow your business to be seen by a huge amount of people, many of which could be in places you never thought you'd reach. You'll have opportunities to connect with a wider client base.
5. Your customer service will improve. If you give your customers plenty of information and resources online, you'll be able to help them with your products or services even when you're not at work. Think about making important forms and documents available online, as well as providing a space for your clientele to submit questions and request information from you.
6. If you decide to sell your products online rather than through a brick-and-mortar business, you'll be saving yourself a lot of money. You won't have to pay rent, utility bills or any of the other expenses that come with owning a store. Selling online is affordable and easy - just make sure you provide secure ordering for your customers.
As long as you take the time to create a detailed, neat website that offers customers all of the information they need - and use a Hosting24 promotion code - you should be able to cheaply and easily improve the success of your small business.
It seems like almost everyone has his own website these days - individuals ranging from business owners to bloggers are securing their own little corner of the internet in order to put their idea, products and content out there in the universe.
Here are just a few examples of those who could benefit from building their own website.
1. Freelancers. If you freelance or operate on a commission basis, or even have expertise in an unusual field, this could be a great way to get your name out there. It will also allow you to showcase samples of your past work, a brief outline of your skills and experience, or just a resume for potential employers to glance over, along with a contact email.
Even if you don't have that kind of job, a website may still be professionally useful. In addition to making your employment history and other information available for prospective employers, you'll be able to hone your web or graphic design skills, which may make you more attractive to a variety of companies.
2. Business owners. Small-scale entrepreneurs can reap endless benefits from setting up a website. Restauranteurs can post menus and operating hours and even set up reservations or take-out. A barber shop or salon could list what days different stylists and barbers are available and allow customers to schedule appointments. In fact, when it comes down to it, any kind of business can tailor its website to the needs of the customers.
Office-based businesses can also go beyond simply posting phone extensions and email addresses. Companies may also want to consider using a website to communicate with employees or as a place to post information they will need to reference frequently.
Those in such a position may want to consider an Intuit Websites promotion code to get affordable hosting services and a domain name for their new creation.
3. Bloggers. Whether you're interested in gardening, model airplanes or stamp collecting, setting up a website is a great way to find people, in your area or around the world, who share your interests. You can share information to get better at what you enjoy or just swap stories and make friends.
Those who love whipping up new creations in the kitchen can also benefit from a blog. For instance, a website can feature different recipes from one's family cookbook or recreate a childhood favorite that your parents always made perfectly but you could never quite get right before. You could talk to someone from across the country or the ocean and learn how to prepare a whole new kind of cuisine from a home cooking expert, whether it's a professional chef or a mother used to dealing with the dietary demands of children.
4. Writers. Aspiring authors can use their personal sites to practice their craft and get feedback from people with different perspectives, acquiring the constructive criticism they need to improve on mistakes and become more skilled at their craft over time.
5. People looking to organize their lives. If more than one of these options appeals to you, your central website can be the anchor for a blog, a place to chat with friends - and more. You could use it to advertise a yard sale, letting people know in advance not just when and where, but what's available to draw their interest. If you wanted, you might even negotiate prices online, giving them a chance to save on gas if the deal doesn't work out.
To set all this up, you'll need a host. Web hosting services are important, and a good host can be expensive sometimes, while a bad one may let your site crash or fail to provide the support you need. Good service can cost money, however. Use a WebHostingBuzz promotion code to get a better rate so that you can keep your website affordable, whether it's a side project for fun or the cornerstone of your business.
With a good, affordable host you can keep your site going for months or years, and it may become a regular stop for professional needs or personal relaxation for you, your friends and your family.
In many households, pets are just another member of the family. They sleep in their owner's beds, take over a favorite chair in the living room and go everywhere with their families. If this sounds like what happens in your house, you don't want to forget your pet this Christmas. Everyone else gets presents, why shouldn't your dog or cat? Here are a few ideas about what to get.
1. A meal upgrade. If you had to eat the same foods every day, wouldn't you get a little bored of it? Your pets are likely no different. Although kibble is still a diet staple, you can improve your pet's meals by upgrading to organic or premium pet foods. If you're worried about the cost, a Cherrybrook promotion code could save you 10 percent on any order. You won't have to feel guilty every time you give your dog a bowl of lackluster food.
2. A new bed. Sleeping is one thing most pets do well and often, so it's likely that a new bed would be welcomed. Animals like to be comfortable, and there's nothing like a soft bed of their own to relax in when they're tired. You won't have to worry about your cat hogging your pillow or attacking your feet at night if he has his own place to sleep. Use a PETCO promotion code to score great deals.
3. A warm sweater. If you think your dog wouldn't mind being a bit warmer this winter, a coat or a sweater could be a great gift that will come in handy on those blustery days. Look for something made out of fleece or waterproof material, so your furry friend will stay toasty. The best dog coats are easily put on with Velcro straps, so you don't have to worry about any awkward sleeves or collars.
4. A portable bed. If your canine is small enough to fit into a purse, you might like taking her out sometimes. It's a great opportunity to get her to socially interact with other people and dogs, and it's always fun having people stop you to tell you how cute your pup is. However, your friend might not be as comfortable as you think, especially if the bag you're using wasn't made for dogs. Get her a portable bed instead, which has space for her to lay down in and even stick her head out if she feels inclined to.
5. Delectable treats. All pet owners know about the power of treats. They're a way to encourage your animal to behave, as they provide an easy reward for when your pal does something right. They're also a good distraction if you get treats like bones or kongs, which can provide hours of fun for dogs. Use a PETsMART promotion code to get discounts and learn about monthly in-store specials.
Although it's not really a gift for your pet, you could always treat yourself to a little present that has to do with your furry friend. After all, when you're happy, your pet is happy. A cute picture frame with a professionally-taken photo inside, a personalized blanket or doormat with your pals image on it or a special keepsake to remember your friend by are all valid ideas. See what's available with a Wag.com promotion code.
Airlines can charge an astronomical price to cover the cost of transporting your furry companions internationally or domestically. The fees associate with sedation, storing and the type of animal can leave a customer paying more to fly the animal than to fly themselves!
However, many travelers wouldn't be taking their furry friends along for the ride without cause. To make your pet feel more at home for the duration of the flight, there are a few things to consider.
Line the carrier with towels or bedding to decrease the chances of the animal getting sore during the flight. While the animals may be sedated, they will be unable to move around and that can lead to stiff joints, especially in older animals who are beginning to feel their age. Make sure the travel kennel is the appropriate size for the animal - it is better to get one that is slightly too large than too small. Discounts for kennels are available with a Dogkennels.com promotional code.
Ease the stress of traveling by allowing the pet to have one or two favorite toys along for the journey and don't wash them directly beforehand. Owners sometimes get nervous about people seeing their animal's dirty drool-covered chew toy, but when traveling, the scents of the home will assist in calming the animal.
All pets should have identification tags on them at all times. In case the worst occurs and a pet is misplaced during a transfer, tags on the animal will assist in tracking them. The tags should include the pet name, owner name, owner address and owner phone number. Consider putting an email address on the tag as well, if you check it regularly.
After considering these tips, look for discounts offered by airlines online to cut down on pet travel cost. An Animal Transporters promotion code can save a traveler $50 off of the cost of transporting a pet internationally.
If you're looking for the perfect pet to bring home to your family, why not think out of the box and choose something other than a cat or a dog? Believe it or not, ferrets are the third most common uncaged pet in the U.S., after dogs and cats. Many people have realized how great these little critters are to keep in their homes, and you might too. Here are some of the basics you may want to read up on before making a decision.
Ferrets have been domesticated for thousands of years. They are a member of the weasel family, which includes skunks, badgers, minks and otters. The average lifespan of a ferret is 8 to 10 years, barring accidents or illness. The most common color for ferrets are variations of black, brown and gray, with darker coloring on the face, feet and tail. Some ferrets are white, and there are even albino ferrets, which are white with pink eyes. Female ferrets grow to be around two pounds, while males typically grow to be double that.
Ferrets have engaging personalities and a very playful nature. They are intelligent, affectionate and loyal to their human companions, often forming a strong bond. They are active animals that shouldn't be caged when they're awake unless it's required, but they do tend to sleep for 18 to 20 hours each day. They are very curious and investigative, which means you should prepare your home so it's a safe place for your ferret to explore.
Ferrets can eat either high quality ferret food or dry kitten food. They also enjoy eating fruits and sweet vegetables. Dairy products, grains, breads and nuts shouldn't be fed to ferrets. Ferrets should have their own cage and a variety of toys and accessories, like hammocks and even shampoo. It's important to spay or neuter your ferret in order to keep it healthy and extend it's life. Female ferrets in particular need to be spayed, otherwise they will go into prolonged heat and eventually become sick and die. They should get regular veterinary checkups.
Now that you know some of the basics about ferrets, you may want to do a little research to make sure they're right for you and your household. If you decide to get a ferret, rest assured knowing that you can save money on the costs of accessories and necessities with a Ferret.com promotion code, which can get you free shipping on a $49 order on Black Friday!
Summertime presents limited opportunities to save big online between holidays of Memorial Day and Labor Day. Among the exceptions are the occasions of Father’s Day and Independence Day.
With Father’s Day upon us, retailers are offering some great last minute deals for tardy shoppers. Some examples:
American Eagle: Free Shipping on any order. (ends 6/17)
Bass Pro Shops: Discounted Father’s Day Specials. (ends 6/23)
Aeropostale: Free $25 Aero Card with $100+ order. (ends 6/16)
MLB Shop: Authentic BP Jerseys only $49.99. (ends 6/18)
Once Father’s Day is behind us, retailers move immediately into Independence Day offers which tend to emphasize appliances, apparel, and outdoor items such as grilling and outdoor entertaining products.
Two early appliance offers that have already been released for 4th of July include:
Best Buy: 10-30% off Major Appliances and Free Delivery on Appliances $429 and Up. (ends 7/10)
Home Depot: 10% OFF Appliances $397 or More. Plus, Free Delivery & Haul Away. Online Only.
Don’t despair if you miss out on the holiday offers. There are other opportunities to save. For instance, summer is a great time to get in shape. Knowing that you might be trying to fit into that old swimsuit, weight loss companies like Weight Watchers are offering specials such as Weight Watchers Online at 30% OFF plus a Free Summer Starter Kit. Weight Watchers has used the likes of Jennifer Hudson and Jessica Simpson to promote a service that touts convenience (a simple points system). Their hope is that potential customers will identity with celebrities that have been challenged by weight problems in very public ways.
Nutrisystem has likewise pushed summer offers including 50% off their service for men. Men have often been left out of weight loss marketing campaigns and offer a burgeoning client base for the weight loss companies.
Whatever you do, enjoy your 4th of July picnic before starting a summer weight loss program!
Father’s Day 2013 falls on Sunday, June 16th.
There is the old story of the child that demands half of his old man’s Father’s Day gift because “if it wasn’t for me, you wouldn’t be a father”. As we age and better understand the essential place most fathers play in the lives of their children, we want to honor them on this one day of the year set aside to recognize their special place in our lives.
Traditionally, Father’s day is celebrated around the world on the third Sunday of June. The celebration is generally viewed to have begun in Spokane, Washington, the brainchild of Sonora Dodd, whose father had raised six children after losing his wife. After some fits and starts, several retailer groups backed congressional action to recognize the day. This led to several presidential proclamations before it was finally recognized as a national holiday after congressional action signed by Richard Nixon in 1972.
The holiday is now celebrated around the world on different days and in different ways.
As with Mother’s Day, Father’s Day has become a prime target of retailers looking for an excuse to sell gifts. Some options this year which can be found on PromotionCode.org include:
Cherry Moon Farms: 15% off $29+ off Gourmet Treats and Gift Baskets for Father's Day
Sherri’s Berries: 15% off $29+ Gourmet Strawberries and Gifts for Father's Day.
Home Depot: 10% off Appliances $397 or More. Plus, Free Delivery & Haul Away. Online Only.
Executive Essentials: Discounts on pens, briefcases and Office Items for Day.
If your dad is in another city, you might be able to take advantage of hot Father’s Day travel deals:
Orbitz: 15% off your booking. Good through June 30th.
CheapOAir: $15 off flights for Father’s Day. Good through June 16th.
And, for younger families: Priceline is offering 30% off Universal Orlando On-site Hotels good through June 16th.
Stay tuned for hot Father’s Day specials on PromotionCode.org’s Father’s Day page during the first two weeks of June.
Today Amazon waded into the world of online currency granting a gift of 500 free “Amazon Coins” to owners of its Kindle Fire. The coins will act as a sort of online currency within the Amazon environment.
The idea is that the new coins will make it easier for Amazon customers to purchase applications through Amazon, and that the same customers will be more likely to transact purchases on Amazon instead of looking elsewhere due to that ease of use.
Amazon Coins have been given a valuation by the company based on a bulk rate with 1,000 coins costing $10, 10,000 for $100, et cetera. However, customers can currently purchase the coins in bulk at a 10% discount providing instant savings. There is no expiration date on the new online currency and no transaction fee for the purchase.
At this point Amazon customers can’t purchase other products such as books, movies and music using the coins, but those plans may be in the works. Another benefit is that application developers now can factor in the new currency as part of monetization plans without any additional integration efforts.
Microsoft, which has also experimented with its own online currency, recently made a decision to phase out the offering while Facebook has also punted on its credits platform in favor of another approach based on local currencies. However, Amazon’s larger ecosystem of products and services may distinguish Amazon Coins from other efforts. Time will tell.
Of the many trends that follow a high unemployment rate, it might not surprise you to find that one of the metrics that most closely follows the monthly seasonal unemployment rate is that of the purchase of adult products. And what exactly are adult products? Vibrators, videos, lingerie, and lube to name a few things. With more people sitting at home with nothing to do, it's not surprising that those hours are spent on something that just about everyone enjoys--sex.
PromotionCode.org tracks the use of, and provides selected media outlets, every coupon on the site and no category has followed the trajectory of the economy more closely than the that of our adult coupons. In particular, Adam and Eve and Babeland are experiencing record usage. From 2008 until late 2009, as the economy went south, coupon use on sexual products grew steadily and plateaued until January of last year. As the economy improved, we saw the inverse: with coupon use diminishing down to only 12,000 unique uses last month.
Click to enlarge.
The chart above shows the comparison directly. Please contact Carmine Barbetta at 818-932-8465 or email@example.com with any questions or media requests.
Looking for ideas on building the perfect Easter basket is easier than one my think. There are really only two things to steps to creating an Easter basket. First you need to find the basket that best suits your needs, whether it is a traditional wicker basket, a bucket, a tote bag or a storage bin. Then you need to think of what you want to fill the basket with.
Do you want a traditional Easter basket filled with plastic eggs and candy? Do you want something that can be used and enjoyed by your child throughout the year? Or maybe you want a healthier alternative that is still fun. As far as finding containers to use for Easter baskets, they can really be found just about anywhere. Once you have found the container you are going to use for your Easter basket the hardest part is over. While searching for your basket, bucket or tote bag, be sure to look for money saving promotion codes and coupons.
Next you need to choose the fillers for your basket. Fillers can be anything from candy, toys, gift cards, snacks, crafts or anything. The possibilities are endless. A traditional basket is a good idea for those who want to start the tradition of using the same basket every year, instead or purchasing a new one from year to year. A fun, non-traditional Easter basket for a child could be a beach bucket filled with water/sand toys, sunscreen, bubbles, water guns anything beach related. An option for a toddler or preschooler, could be a storage bin filled with gummy fruit snacks, crayons, a coloring book, playdoh or books. If you have a tween, try a cute tote bag filled with scented bubble bath or lotion, a gift card to their favorite store, lip gloss or fun fashion jewelry. Look for Target and Walmart promotion codes for the best prices and deals on Easter baskets and supplies.
Stores are stocked with reds, pinks and seemingly endless amounts of chocolate - the day of love is right around the corner. February 14 is a time to celebrate love and affection, but many men struggle with the concept of this lady-loved holiday. While some men know exactly how to get it right, they can be difficult to find. Maybe all your man needs this year are some tips on how to give you the Valentine's day you deserve. The day tends to come with a lot of expectations, so why not give him a few ideas so he can get date night right?
Restaurants can be packed with people on the evening of February 14 and if you and your man don't like to plan ahead, you may be stuck with a long wait. Nothing can kill the mood quite like rumbling tummies. Skip the long lines, pick up a couple of candles and create a romantic moment in the comfort of your own home. The two of you can bond and enjoy making a delicious dinner together.
Horse and carriage ride
You've enviously watched movies as countless stars enjoy a romantic carriage ride through a park. There is no need for these moments to exist solely on the silver screen - you can make this fairy tale date your reality this year. Bundle up with your sweetheart as you enjoy the ride.
Love above the clouds
If money isn't a going to hold you back from your romantic outings this year, why not go on an adventure in the sky? Helicopter rides can be a unique moment that you and your lover can share. The experience could be one that you'll always remember.
Take to the ice
Even if you're not an experienced skater this can be a great activity to do with your beau. Maybe he's a pro on the ice, maybe not - either way it can be an exciting and unique activity. Put on your warmest clothes and have fun trying new things and making memories.
Each couple has a different activity that will be perfect for them on this romantic occasion. If your man still needs an idea, don't let him forget about simple gestures like a bouquet of flowers. A Proflowers promotion code might be beneficial before February 14.
As Christmas and New Year’s are approaching, many are considering what to create to transform their feasts from expected and average to unique and exciting. Many households love this time of year because family favorites will appear once again on the table for consumption. It is a rich time of year and many love to forgo diets in favor of another piece of pumpkin pie or a sugar cookie - or two.
Holiday baskets filled with enticing options may be the perfect gift for a picky family member or for someone wishing to try out a new flavor or variation of an old favorite. Here are a few basket options to try - don't forget to add a ribbon to make it festive!
1. Basket of chocolates. If you are trying to fill a basket with sugared treats, a Candy Store promotion code could save on shipping by offering a flat rate. Chocolate Santa Claus shapes or miniature truffle Rudolph figures are magical offerings for children and even their parents if they’re looking for a decadent delicacy. This is not a new idea, but by putting in unique flavors, companies or international offerings it can provide a chocolate fanatic with a favorite for the upcoming year.
2. Basket of tea. For those interested in various teas, try offering a tea set filled with the unique flavors of the world. There are so many to choose from that a gift basket full of the aromatic flavors will provide a filling warmth, for both their hands and their tummies. An Adagio Teas promotion code could provide savings when you are trying to fill a large basket full of tiny tea bags.
3) Basket of steak. This is an ideal gift for the men in your life who love meat. Fill a basket full of choice cuts and present it to the meat-eater in your life and watch as they salivate over the savory possibilities. A Chicago Steak Company promotion code for free gourmet chicken with any USDA prime order may assist you in affording additional dinners after such a grand purchase. Just remember to keep the basket on ice!
These are just a few of the options for providing a basket full of goodies to friends or family over the holiday season.
Is shoe shopping one of your favorite guilty pleasures? From pumps to winter boots - many women think you can never have enough footwear. With the spring season just around the corner, boots will probably go on sale soon and the shelves will be stocked with new styles. A Shoes.com promotion code could help you satisfy your shoe fetish.
Shoes with metallic toes are stomping down the runways and into stores near you. This trend can be both durable and stylish. What fashionista doesn't want a shoe that she can handle walking a few miles in?
It's nearly time to stow away your reds and blacks and bring out the colors fit for spring. The colorblocking trend began a few years ago and hasn’t shown any signs of stopping. It can be with the whole ensemble or a pair of chunky pumps - this look always makes a statement.
A little can go a long way with this look. A touch of rhinestones or sparkle can transform a simple shoe into a show-stopping set. But too much of the jeweled look might begin to appear tacky.
With all these different options, you may need to save money on shoes. With a Nine West promotion code, you can save up to 70 percent on select styles.
Black Friday, the day after Thanksgiving, has quickly become a retail holiday focused on offering consumers bargains and deals that aren't available at other times of the year. With so many doorbuster deals, bonus gift cards and other discounts, the crowds are sure to be excited this Friday. Although it's a great time to score a deal on something you've been looking for, it's also a time when you should be wary about spending more than your budget allows. The offers may be tempting, but it's important to avoid overspending. Here are a few tips to help you navigate your way to success this Black Friday.
1. Make a list of what you want and stick to it. This sounds like a no-brainer, but you'd be surprised how many people go in to a store looking for a TV and leaving with a TV, a DVD player, a new couch and new carpet. It's easy to get sucked into buying things you don't need when there are such tempting prices, but if you want to stick to a budget, pay attention to your list.
2. Do your research before you head out to the stores. It's not going to be very helpful to travel around to different stores hoping they have deals on the items you need. Instead, do some research online to see which stores have discounts on what products. That way, you'll be able to do some comparison shopping and find out where exactly you can get the best prices. Although you can find Black Friday ads in the newspaper on Thanksgiving, many stores post their ads on their websites beforehand. There are even promotion codes available to help you with online shopping on the big day, like a Kohl's promotion code, which can get you 15 percent off any order.
3. Find out if the deal is really that great. Many of the price reductions on Black Friday are on no-name brands, and the prices aren't always reduced much from the manufacturer's suggested retail price. Use a shopping comparison website to figure out what your product of choice is selling for everywhere, that way you'll be able to find out where the best deal is. Also, be sure to research the actual product you're looking to buy. Look for reviews so you can know whether or not the product is even worth buying. If it lacks features you want, is outdated or is poorly made, that may be why the price is so low. You may want to consider spending a bit more money to get a better quality product.
4. Find out your favorite stores' hours. It won't help you if you arrive only to find that the doors aren't open yet, or that customers have already been shopping for an hour or two. Go online to research the stores on your list and make sure you plan your shopping accordingly.
5. Look for additional coupons. Once you know what products you want and which stores are selling it for what price, you should see where you can get extra deals from promotion codes. Department stores often have plenty of coupons that can get you additional discounts on your merchandise, and many online retailers let you use promotion codes to get additional deals, like free shipping, on your Black Friday order. For example, you can use a Sony promotion code to get up to 50 percent off your merchandise and receive free shipping.
6. Know how many doorbuster deals are available at the store you're planning to visit. Be sure to read the fine print in the ads you see - oftentimes you'll notice that there are only a certain amount of those specific "hot" items. If there are only six laptops on sale for that really low price, it wouldn't make sense to wait in line for an hour behind 20 other people.
7. Expand your online research with social media sites. Many retailers use their Facebook and Twitter pages to let customers know about special deals and promotions. Those in their network may even get additional discounts or bonuses, so it never hurts to add your favorite stores as friends or follow their tweets.
8. Consider shopping online instead of in stores. Many times, you can get the same deals online that you'd get at the store on Black Friday. You may even be able to get deals on Thanksgiving day, before the Black Friday rush hits. Check your favorite stores' websites often to save yourself the hassle of battling crowds and stressful parking lot situations. Plus, you'll be able to use coupon codes with your purchase. With a Macy's promotion code, you can get special discounts and free shipping on $99 orders.
As long as you plan ahead and research your favorite stores, you should be able to score some fabulous deals this Black Friday.
Looking to save a little money? You're not alone. Just about everyone is searching for ways to pull in those purse strings this season, but spending responsibly doesn't mean you've got to resign yourself to ramen noodles for dinner every night. There are plenty of not-so-obvious but easy ways to save a few bucks here and there - and that can really add up fast! Here are eight of the most ingenious ways to save this winter.
1. Get a bike with a Bike.com promotion code, which can get you free shipping on any order. Let's be real: Driving a car costs a small fortune. Between paying for maintenance, parking passes, gasoline, washes and the occasional speeding ticket, you could be out thousands of dollars by the end of the year. Put the car in the garage and switch to a bike. Not only will it keep you in shape, it doesn't require gasoline or a permit to park - and it's just flat-out fun! And with a hat, some warm gloves and nice boots, you won't even be too cold. If it's icy or snowy, try taking the bus or the subway, if your city has one. It's cheap, efficient and good for the environment.
2. Buy a blanket. The heating bill can be one of your biggest expenses in the wintertime, but you can't very well be expected to go through January, February and March without turning on the radiators. If you need to save a little money, try turning down the heat just a smidgen and investing in a big, fluffy blanket to keep warm overnight. Your own body heat is definitely cheaper than what the oil, gas and electric companies are charging, and you'll be toasty before you know it.
3. Eat leftovers. Feeding yourself costs a lot of money, especially if you order take-out four days a week or pick up your favorite sandwich on the way home from work every night. But you can save some serious dough if you try making a big meal - like a casserole or a whole roast chicken - on Sunday night, and eating the leftovers in creative ways throughout the week. Speaking of eating habits, let's move on to number four...
4. Pack a lunch. Remember those leftovers we were just talking about? Brown-bag 'em for an easy office lunch. Picking up a burger, fries and a Coke every day for lunch costs about $7 - that's $35 a week, not including the weekends! Packing a lunch will save you both money and time, so you can be more productive and maybe even earn a raise.
5. Change your schedule. Now that Daylight Savings has arrived, we've all had to turn the clocks back an hour - meaning the sun is setting around 5 pm. But if you're turning on the lights before dinner and staying up until midnight, that's six hours or more of electricity use - and that can really add up. Try going to bed (and flipping off the lights) a little earlier to save cash on your electric bill. Plus, it'll help you get up earlier - so you can be more productive in the morning!
6. Get rid of cable. How often do you watch TV? Now how often do you actually watch TV on your, well, TV? For most of us, it's not very often. With most of our favorite shows available streaming online or for a small fee on iTunes or Youtube, paying $60 or more each month for cable just doesn't make financial sense if you're really trying to save.
7. Ditch the drinks. Coke, Pepsi, root beer, cranberry juice, iced tea, even coffee - you just don't need them! Water is free and abundant, so stop stocking up on sugary, carbonated and caffeinated drinks that cost money and are full of empty calories. You could save dozens of dollars next time you're at the grocery store. And while we're at it, try cutting back on the alcoholic beverages, too. Hit happy hour with your coworkers, but stick to the cheap beer. You could even use a WineBasket.com promotion code to save on your favorite bottles of vino.
8. Cruise the sale racks. Now is not the time to be dropping cash on a new wardrobe, but when the seasons change, you might not be able to put off getting a new coat or a comfy pair of snow boots. If you need a new winter item, check out the sales racks before you head to the full-price merchandise. You can often find exactly what you're looking for - even at the most high-end department stores - for a pretty steep discount!
Saving money is tough, but it's something that all young adults need to learn how to do. Pinching pennies is a pain, but with these tips, it can be a little easier for everyone.
Hockey season is upon us, and not everyone is satisfied with just watching their favorite NHL teams battle it out on TV. Some people like to get in the game and participate, which is a great idea if you're competitive and want to get some exercise. Even if you don't play in a league, shooting a puck around on the ice can be a fun pastime for you and your friends.
Hockey is known for having some pretty expensive equipment, what with all the pads, helmets, sticks, gloves and skates. But luckily a HockeyGiant.com promotion code can help you save on basic equipment - offering a 10 percent discount, in fact. You can be on your way to joining a team or a pick-up game in no time with such great savings on gear!
In case you didn't know, hockey has been around for hundreds of years - since early civilization. Earlier versions of the game didn't take place on ice, but were more like field hockey. According to HistoryofHockey.net, a form of this pastime was played in places like Rome, South America, Scotland and Egypt. It was actually the Irish who coined the name - their word "hockie" was carried down through the generations.
In England in the 17th and 18th centuries, games including hundreds of players were held between neighboring hamlets. The game was a form of proving manhood, so it quickly got dangerous and many players were hurt. Sometimes the game would last for two whole weeks!
Eventually, the game of hockey got more organized and developed more rules. Teams were limited to 30 players. In the 1870s, ice hockey evolved from the field version of the game in Canada. The official rules of the game were created at McGill University in Montreal during that same decade. Ice hockey came to America almost 15 years later.
The NHL actually began as the National Hockey Association (NHA) in Canada in 1910. The league's championship trophy was the O'Brien Trophy, which was also used by the NHL later on.
The first NHL season took place in 1917-1918. It started out with five teams, but the Montreal Wanderers were forced out of the league in January when their rink burned down. A team called the Toronto Arenas won the first Stanley Cup in history against the Vancouver Millionaires. Before the Stanley Cup, teams competed to win the O'Brien Trophy.
Now that you know a little more about the history of hockey, you can get out there and play! Just be sure to use a HockeyGiant.com promotion code to save on gear!
Playing a sport has many benefits - as a hobby, this type of activity is a fun way to enjoy your free time while flexing your muscles and burning some calories at the same time. Additionally, an activity that you like allows you to socialize with other people who have the same interests as you. Above all, most sports are fairly inexpensive, with some needing only a few equipments. Depending on your skill set (or the time you're willing to learn the skills!), there are many different sports that you can participate in.
Running. Running is a sport that pretty much anyone with a set of functioning legs and feet can do, and all you need is a good pair of shoes (and an optional mp3 player for some awesome beats) to get the job done. Whether you're running alone or with a group of people to compete, this activity will allow you to explore your surroundings without having to pay anything.
As an aerobic form of exercise, running is also a great way to lose unwanted pounds and keep you fit and healthy. Those who are looking to turn the activity into a competitive sport might even want to join marathons, which are long-distance running events that have runners' tongues wagging after the 26-mile trek. Of course, it takes a lot of practice and training before anyone should even try to compete in one!
Swimming. If you have an affinity for water, swimming might just be the right kind of activity for you. Of course, it's not just about wading in the pool - swimming requires a specific set of skills that you have to master, including proper breathing techniques and different strokes. Just because you're in a cool pool doesn't mean you're not burning any calories either. In fact, Nutra Check ranks the activity as one of the more strenuous sports. Compared to an hour's worth of cycling, which burns 256 calories, swimming will burn 513 calories. After a few sessions, you'll surely start to see that "swimmer's body" that everyone lusts over.
Soccer. With a group of friends, a game of soccer is a great activity that can be played by people of all skill levels. The sport is normally played by two teams of 11 players on a rectangular field with a goal on each of the short ends. The goal is simple: Score a point by driving the ball into the opposing goal, which is guarded by a goalkeeper. Field players can use any part of their body except for their arms or hands, with the feet primarily used to kick the ball around the field.
If you are interested in playing the sport, there really is no specific player position that you have to be, but throughout the ages, three specialized roles have been created - the strikers or forwards, whose main task is to score, the defenders, who prevent the opposing team from scoring, and the midfielders, whose specialty is to dispose the other team of the ball so they can then pass it the the strikers. Additionally, the activity is a fairly inexpensive endeavor since - all you really need is a pair of soccer shoes and the ball and you're ready to go! Just be sure to check out a Dick's Sporting Goods Promotion Code to save on your purchase.
Disc Golf. Those who prefer a slower pace when it comes to their sporting activities might want to check out what disc golf is all about. Played just like regular golf (but cheaper and with discs!), this trendy sport requires individual players to throw a flying disc into a basket or an intended target. The Professional Disc Golf Association explains that "[t]he object of the game is to traverse a course from beginning to end in the fewest number of throws of the disc." Besides the leisurely pace, playing disc golf requires nothing more than several discs to play. According to DG Course Review, there are more than 3000 established courses in the country as of 2010, and approximately 87 percent of these venues are free for players.
Those who want to get into disc golf will understand soon enough why the game is one of the fastest-growing activities today. Playing the sport is surely a great way to spend a few hours with friends as you explore the great outdoors.
Basketball. For a sweaty, fun and challenging time with friends, a game of b-ball might just be what you're looking for, and all you need are a good pair of sneakers and a ball. Normally played between two teams of five, the main objective of basketball is to score points by shooting or throwing a ball into a hoop 10 feet high. A normal shot is worth two points, but shots from behind the line will earn the team that extra point. Different organizations play the games differently, and it's up to you to decide which time limit you prefer. The NBA, for instance, plays 12-minute quarters while the NCAA plays with two halves at 20 minutes each.
As a variation of the game, streetball is a less formal activity normally played in streets where, in most instances, only half of the court is used. It can be played with only two people, called a one-on-one, or more. Other variations of the game include 21 or Roughhouse, Around the World and Knock Out.
Badminton. For a fun summer activity in the backyard or at the beach with a friend or three, badminton is the perfect sport that allows people of all skill levels to participate. Best of all, a basic badminton kit can cost as little as $20.
The game is basically a racquet sport played by two opposing players or pairs who take turns striking a shuttlecock over the net. The goal is for you to strike the shuttlecock so that it lands on your opponent's side of the court. You may only strike the shuttle once before you pass it over to your opponent, and the rally will only end once it hits the floor. Each game is normally played up to 21 points, but it's up to you to mix it up if you prefer!
Volleyball. Another fun and exciting activity that can be played in the comforts of your own backyard or during a beach outing is volleyball. In a formal game, volleyball is played between two teams of six separated by a net that divides the court. Just like badminton, the main goal of the game is for one team to strike the opposing team's side of the court to gain points. The team that gets to score 25 points and be two points ahead wins a set, with matches normally being best of five.
Of course, if you're playing with your friends, rules can be changed around to cater to your skill sets. Besides proper serving skills, playing volleyball requires being able to block the ball to prevent it from landing on your side of the court. Additionally, different techniques like the spike and the dig are important to truly elevate your team against your opponents.
Dancing. Dancing may be an art form, but it's also a sport that requires physical prowess and skills. Whether you're in it to compete or just to burn some calories in a fun way as you get your groove on, dancing will definitely get your heart pumping.
The activity, of course, varies greatly. From hip-hop to break dancing, tango to waltz, each dance requires a different kind of skill that you'll have to learn, either from a professional instructor in a personal class or through a dance school.
When it comes to burning calories, Nutra Check reports that an hour's worth of salsa dancing can actually burn up to 390 calories. And besides the cost of dance lessons, all you need is a good pair of dancing shoes.
Billiards. A game of pool at the local bar may not be the strenuous activity that you're looking for, but it still requires a great deal of skill in order to beat your opponent, especially after a few rounds of cocktails!
Played on a table with six pockets, a game of pool has many varieties. Perhaps one of the most popular games is eight-ball, played with 15 object balls and the cue ball. The object of the game is to legally pocket the eight ball (the black one) after pocketing the rest of the players' balls, which could either be the stripes or the solids (determined by whoever makes the first shot). Nine-ball, on the other hand, is played with, well, nine balls. The goal of this game is to pocket the nine ball legally by starting with the lowest number ball - the yellow one ball.
Let's face it - getting healthy can become quite expensive. Many health professionals advise that you go organic, except these foods cost twice as much as the regular varieties. Additionally, joining a gym requires shelling out additional cash on a monthly basis. So what are regular folks like us on a limited budget to do? Well, there are quite a number of ways to go about becoming a healthier individual without breaking the bank. In fact, there are many ways to do so for free.
For an effective way to maintain your weight without spending anything, go running! The exercise is an aerobic form of fitness. Aerobic "is the abilitiy of your heart to pump stronger and more efficiently and your muscles to use more oxygen more efficiently," according to MedicineNet.com. To make the most of your jogging, choose a route that you will enjoy - perhaps through a gorgeous park in the morning or around your neighborhood during the evenings.
Another way to lose some unneeded pounds while enjoying yourself is by biking. Of course, you have to purchase a bike if you don't have one yet, but just think of it as a form of investment. Riding through the countryside on the weekends is a great way to not only stay fit but to also enjoy the scenery as you pass through quaint towns and beautiful landscapes. Look for Bike.com Promotion Code when purchasing your equipment to save some extra cash.
If you like to sweat while having fun at the same time, why not take up a group sport that you and some friends can do? Basketball, for example, is a great way to burn those calories up without burning a hole in your pocket. Plus you can look for a Dick's Sporting Goods Promotion Code if you need to buy equipment for your next game. If dribbling isn't your thing, you can take up less intense sports that you will enjoy playing. A fun new activity that's sweeping the country is disc golf. Played just like regular golf, individuals throw a flying disc into a basket. Free courses are popping up in every park and recreational facilities and all you have to pay for are your frisbees.
Just remember that you don't have to spend money to get fit. The great outdoors can be your very own gym and Mother Nature certainly won't hassle you about a monthly fee!
Cellular phones keep us connected whether we're minutes or hours apart. Although most people have a cell phone in today's day and age, some might want to upgrade to a new one if theirs is old or worn.
Whether you're moving to a new home, going on a business trip or are just looking for a change, it's easy to think of a reason you might need a new cell phone. Of course, finding the right deal for your mobile may be difficult.
If you're currently in this predicament, try hunting down a My Cellular Source promotion code to get a better price for the phone or accessory you need. That way, you can call your family at home or talk to your co-worker while keeping your wallet nice and padded.
Also, when you're looking at phones, think about buying a headset. That way you can talk while you go for a walk, cook dinner or work out. If you aren't planning to multitask, it can still keep your arms from getting tired during long conversations.
You may want to upgrade if you have an older phone that isn't good for text messaging and other functions that you want to have available on the move, or if you'd prefer your phone to double as a camera on the fly.
Think about what you need out of your phone before making a purchase, and try to find out who has good service in your area. That way, you only pay for the features you'll actually use. Plans are expensive enough without spending extra on the phone.
Cobra Electronics has developed a nifty way to end those annoying searches for lost items.
Everyone remembers times like these: you're late for work or some other engagement, and you've got your wallet, your purse and your phone. Now if only you could remember where you put your keys. Retracing your steps isn't working, and you're sure that you put them down someplace silly, but you can't picture where.
The Cobra PhoneTag is the first in what is sure to be a number of similar products. Using Bluetooth technology, a simple clip can be attached to your key ring. When the offending items have gone to the same place sock mates and loose change always disappear to, just turn on your smartphone. The Cobra PhoneTag app will e-mail you the GPS coordinates of the lost items.
This technology can also work in reverse. If you misplaced your phone, you can activate the PhoneTag clip and it will tell your phone to start making noises. It's perfect for when you don't have another phone to call your own with.
Primarily designed to work with keys, a Cobra PhoneTag can be attached to anything. Luggage, computers or valuables won't disappear from your view again. Just don't get any ideas and put them on your children!
Discover the awesomeness of the latest smartphone technology. Look for Cellphones.org Promotion Codes, MetroPCS Promotion Codes or RingCentral Promotion Codes.
Those with daily morning traffic woes can breathe a sigh of relief. Google recently updated its Google Maps Navigation Android app, allowing you the option to steer clear of rush hour traffic on your way to work.
Before the change, GMN showed its users the areas of heavy congestion in red and gave different options as alternatives. Roy Williams, software engineer for the app, explained in a blog post that the update on Google Maps can automatically route users around traffic. The change on the program applies knowledge on "current and historical traffic to select the fastest route from those alternates," Williams said.
The change to the software, according to Williams, can hopefully save drivers who have the app on their Android smartphones some time and fuel. Speaking on behalf of the whole Google Maps team, he also said that there is no guarantee that GMN will be able to find a faster way, so drivers should still use their best judgment.
Look for a Cellphones.org Promo Code, Cellhub Promotion Code or a T-Mobile Discount Code on your next Android smartphone purchase.
In a world consumed by interactive digital devices, one might consider the traditional board game a thing of the past. For the most part, that statement might be correct - if it weren't for the international sensation: Settlers of Catan.
Settlers of Catan was released in 1995 by Mayfair Games and soon caught the hearts of a small but dedicated following that has grown astronomically in little over a decade. Invented in the early 90s by German designer Klaus Teuber, Settlers of Catan has developed into a mainstream hit and can be found with a Gamingator promotional code at a discount.
Sales of the board game are nearing 25 million copies, according to The Atlantic, and it is quickly becoming the most popular board game since Risk and Monopoly. However, Settlers of Catan's features may make the game a greater success. The game involves less cut-throat action, takes considerably less time and involves equal parts skill and luck.
"Settlers is three to five years away from being a household word," Bob Carty, a spokesman for Mayfair Games told The Atlantic. Sales of the board game grew 35 percent over the course of 2010 alone.
The board game involves three to four players who battle each other to create cities, settlements, roads and armies by luck, strategy and experience. Each designated item requires a specific number and variety of resources (wheat, wood, rock, brick and sheep) to build and expand across the board. Each item is worth a specific point value based on its difficulty to achieve.
More than a few variations of the popular board have developed. The franchise now includes Seafarers, Cities and Knights, The Rivals for Catan, Rivals for Catan: Age of Darkness, Settlers of America: Trails to Rails and more. If you are interested in returning to the land of traditional boardgames for a night filled with fun, Settlers of Catan may be the game for you.
Due to the game's popularity, a free international forum and place of play has developed where players can battle against others across the globe in an effort to gain the championship title. There are also yearly conferences and tournaments offered for competition and a chance to see the Catan masters at work building and creating empires.
It's popularity spans people of all ages, social demographics and experiences. More than a few self-professed Catan geeks can be found on college campuses, book stores, coffee shops and individual households. Perhaps checking out a FOA Schwarz promotional code for $25 off orders greater than $150 may entice you to try out the game the next time you're looking for a new boardgame.
Are you wondering what you should get that kid in your life who has everything this Christmas? Retro toys are a great idea for a unique present. Pick out a classic toy that was one of your favorites to play with and buy it using a FAO Schwarz promotion code.
FAO Schwarz, one of the largest and oldest toy stores in the country, sells a variety of toys for all age groups. It also carries classic toys that are a bit harder to find in stores today.
For boys, get them some classic building supplies like Legos or TinkerToys. Too young for such small pieces? FAO Schwarz also has classic wooden block sets. RadioFlyer still makes those red wagons that you used to drag around your neighborhood when you were a kid. Play-Doh, the gooey modeling clay introduced in the 1950’s, is still a popular play toy for all kids.
For girls, Barbies continue to be a popular choice, despite the fact that they have been around for decades. You can get collector editions as well as newer versions of the classic doll. If you remember sitting in your kitchen and cooking in your EasyBake Oven as your mom used the real stove, this might be something you want to recreate for your little girl. This classic has been modernized and is for sale in most stores. They now sell even more packages of baked goods for your kids to try.
Trade out those expensive video games for something a bit more family friendly. Try a classic board games like dominoes , checkers, Chinese checkers, mancala and Parcheesi. These games may seem simple to your kids, but they encourage family interaction like no video game can. Retro Magic 8 balls, Jacks and Etch A Sketches are also still on sale at FAO Shwarz.
Encourage your kids to read with some old favorites like Goodnight Moon, the Hungry Caterpillar, the Cat in the Hat and all of the other classic Dr. Seuss books.
Looking for a retro stocking stuffer? Why not have your kids try some of your favorite sweets and treats from when you were young. Bazooka Bubble Gum, Jaw Breakers, Now and Laters, Sugar Daddy, Atomic Fireballs and even Candy Cigarettes can be purchased online. Buy all this candy and more using an Old Time Candy promotion code.
What kind of toy can be anything? With LEGOs, your child can use simple pieces to build whatever he or she can imagine. Blocks come in different colors, shapes and sizes, with standard blocks for structure and less common ones that add style. LEGOs even come in different themes.
1. City LEGOs are great for a kid who wants to build what she sees everyday. Police stations, schools, cars, boats, gas stations, roads and more can all be constructed out of these pieces. Your little one can build a post office or even recreate your office. Maybe she'll build her own school and teach a class. Your child will also be able to recreate real buildings that she passes by every day or imagine them the way she thinks they should be.
2. LEGOs kingdoms may be perfect for your son If he wants to build a castle and fill it with knights. Set instructions will allow him to understand the basics and get started on his dream castle, which may feature solid walls or secret trapdoors, and be filled with knights in armor or people just living a regular day. The gates may be open for visitors, or closed tight to keep people out - the choice is up to your tenacious tot.
3. Space LEGOs can be used to create amazing alien spaceships with unusual crews, if it's the future that your child is interested in. His or her creations may land on a planet or fly through space in a fleet of ships, each with its own crew. The mission can go anywhere in the galaxy without leaving the living room. Maybe your son or daughter will create a research station on the moon - all it takes is some time and imagination!
4. Duplo sets, made with larger pieces so that they're safe for kids who chew on their toys and try to swallow them, can be fun for younger children. Your little ones may be happy for you to help them build a set or create something new.
Duplos can allow your son or daughter to learn about elephants and other animals by holding them in his hand. You may also find sets featuring the characters from kid favorites like Toy Story or Cars.
5. Star Wars, Pirates of the Caribbean and other famous movies have their own LEGO sets, perfect for young fans, featuring the characters they like in the setting they want to see. Parents can have a break from seeing the movies again and again and instead allow their kids to develop their eye-hand coordination while fostering their creativity. You never know - you may even want to play with some of them yourself!
Of course, all of these building blocks may leave you worrying about one important thing - the cost. Luckily, a Harry Potter LEGO promotion code will allow you to get a better price on some sets.
And who knows - maybe you'll have enough cash on hand to buy a bunch of different sets and keep your son or daughter busy for months on end? If your child is feeling creative, or just thinks it's funny, then maybe Harry Potter and his friends can meet Indiana Jones or wander through a modern-day town. A ship from Star Wars could land in the middle of a castle, with everyone there wondering what is going to happen next. The possibilities are endless.
There are no limits what your kid can build with these blocks, so he or she should have a blast. Whether you watch or join in and help build, you may very well discover that this purchase lasts for years on end.
Looking for somewhere different this summer? Look no further than Florida. There are many things to do in Florida, making it a very popular vacation destination. Florida has something for everyone in the family, whether it is theme parks, sports, beaches, arts and culture, national parks and more. Florida is the home to several theme parks sure to thrill the family. Some of the popular theme parks are Walt Disney World, Universal Studios, Islands of Adventure, Busch Gardens, SeaWorld Orlando and more. For the sports fanatics, Florida is home of the Tampa Bay Rays, The Miami Dolphins Orland Magic, Florida State Seminoles, UF Gators and more. For a laid back vacation, consider visiting one of Florida’s beautiful beaches. Choose from South Beach in Miami, Siesta Key near Sarasota, Panama City Beach in the Panhandle or Sanibel Island. If arts and culture interest you, check out one of the many museums found in Florida. You can visit the National Museum of Naval Aviation, the Mary Brogan Museum of Art and Science in Tallahassee, the Kennedy Space Center in Merritt Island or the Miami Children’s Museum. For nature lovers, Florida is a great place to see wild animals and plants in their natural habitat. Perhaps the most known park in Florida is the Everglades. The Everglades is home to a wide variety of wildlife including, alligators, snakes, birds, plants, panthers, manatees and more. Whether you tour the Everglades via swamp buggy or air boats, you are sure to enjoy a day filled with fun and adventure. To save money on attractions, hotels, resorts, sports tickets and more, shop online for the best deals and rates. Be sure to look for Travelocity, Hotels.com, Orbitz and Expedia promotion codes.
According to AAA, the best travel destinations for summer 2012 are Honolulu, Orlando, London, Rome, California and Anaheim. Summer traveling shouldn’t break the bank or cause any unnecessary stress; it should be fun and enjoyable. With that said, some tips on a stress free summer vacation are to follow. First, book your vacation early; don’t wait until the last minute. When you book your vacation early, you can search for the best deals on the dates you have in mind. IF you wait until the last minute, the hotel and/or flight that you want may be booked. If you are flying, be sure to arrive to the airport early. This will give you plenty of time to go through security checkpoints and find your gate in ample time. If you are traveling by car, consider renting a larger car, SUV or minivan. Renting a car will keep the mileage off your car, and will give you more room for luggage and seating space. When booking your lodging accommodations, look for somewhere close to your destination. This will allow you to walk to your destinations instead of paying parking fees. Consider booking your hotel early, this way you can get the best rate and room options. Also be sure to ask about specials like, continental breakfast, free room upgrades, wi-fi rates and promotional discounts if you are a member of an organization. Perhaps the most important tip available to having a stress free vacation, is to simply relax and enjoy the memories you are making with your family and/or friends. To get the most bang for your buck when planning your summer vacation, try to book the entire trip at once. You can usually save quite a bit of money by booking your flight/car rental, hotel and attractions together. For travel agencies and great deals on hotels and flights, look online for Orbitz, Travelociy and Priceline.com promotion codes and offers.
Traveling can be an invigorating and exciting experience. The ability to observe new cultures and environments gives many people memories they will never forget. Usually people enjoy traveling with friends or family members because they like to share the experiences, but sometimes venturing to different locations alone can be beneficial. With an AllHotels promotion code, you can save 10 percent off at all hotels on your next getaway. Before beginning a journey by yourself, there are certain things you should keep in mind.
Visiting foreign locations can be intimidating. The change in culture and traditions sometimes causes communication problems and confusion. When you're traveling alone, it is more important than ever to be aware of your surroundings. Avoid venturing off to unpopulated areas or private locations. When hopping in a foreign cab, be cautious of the ride and the driver. Be sure to keep important information about where you're staying and where you plan to go to yourself. Don't be afraid to ask locals for help if an environment is too unfamiliar.
Please yourself first
When people travel in groups, they often have disagreements on the places to see or events to attend. If you choose to take a trip by yourself, you can explore any area you wish without worrying about the opinions of others. You can spend hours shopping on the small streets of a foreign city without wasting other people’s time. Sacrifice is probably one of the last things you want to do during travel. By using a Best Western Promotion code, you can save money on your solo stay. During trips with groups, someone is usually not satisfied with the plans, but when you travel alone you only have to satisfy yourself!
An experience traveling often helps people discover independence and confidence they never knew they had. A visit to a different location can be challenging, but foreign cultures give people the opportunity to uncover things about themselves.
"You discover who you are when no one is looking. At home people expect you to act a certain way. When you travel solo, you can be whoever you want to be with no one to judge," Janice Waugh, a solo travel blogger, told CNN.
Rise to the challenge
Sometimes when people travel in groups, they get caught up with the people they're traveling with and forget to pay attention to the natives. If you travel by yourself, you’ll have to try to speak with the people from the area and make decisions on your own. You can't use the people in your group as a crutch - you're forced to rely on your own choices. With a Delta Airlines promotion code, you can save money on travel.
Group opinions can influence how you view a situation. If you go to a movie with some of your friends and everyone is discussing how much they disliked the movie, it's unlikely that you will voice how much you enjoyed it. The same rules apply for travel. When you take a trip on your own, no one can alter your view of the location. Your thoughts are your own and will not be changed because of the opinions of your friends. If you want to drive through the countrysides of Europe on your next getaway, use a Europcar promotion code to get up to 25 percent off a car rental when you pay online.
If you're looking for something a little different on your next vacation, consider taking a trip alone. You'll be amazed at what you find out about yourself and your destination!