Black Friday, the day after Thanksgiving, has quickly become a retail holiday focused on offering consumers bargains and deals that aren't available at other times of the year. With so many doorbuster deals, bonus gift cards and other discounts, the crowds are sure to be excited this Friday. Although it's a great time to score a deal on something you've been looking for, it's also a time when you should be wary about spending more than your budget allows. The offers may be tempting, but it's important to avoid overspending. Here are a few tips to help you navigate your way to success this Black Friday.
1. Make a list of what you want and stick to it. This sounds like a no-brainer, but you'd be surprised how many people go in to a store looking for a TV and leaving with a TV, a DVD player, a new couch and new carpet. It's easy to get sucked into buying things you don't need when there are such tempting prices, but if you want to stick to a budget, pay attention to your list.
2. Do your research before you head out to the stores. It's not going to be very helpful to travel around to different stores hoping they have deals on the items you need. Instead, do some research online to see which stores have discounts on what products. That way, you'll be able to do some comparison shopping and find out where exactly you can get the best prices. Although you can find Black Friday ads in the newspaper on Thanksgiving, many stores post their ads on their websites beforehand. There are even promotion codes available to help you with online shopping on the big day, like a Kohl's promotion code, which can get you 15 percent off any order.
3. Find out if the deal is really that great. Many of the price reductions on Black Friday are on no-name brands, and the prices aren't always reduced much from the manufacturer's suggested retail price. Use a shopping comparison website to figure out what your product of choice is selling for everywhere, that way you'll be able to find out where the best deal is. Also, be sure to research the actual product you're looking to buy. Look for reviews so you can know whether or not the product is even worth buying. If it lacks features you want, is outdated or is poorly made, that may be why the price is so low. You may want to consider spending a bit more money to get a better quality product.
4. Find out your favorite stores' hours. It won't help you if you arrive only to find that the doors aren't open yet, or that customers have already been shopping for an hour or two. Go online to research the stores on your list and make sure you plan your shopping accordingly.
5. Look for additional coupons. Once you know what products you want and which stores are selling it for what price, you should see where you can get extra deals from promotion codes. Department stores often have plenty of coupons that can get you additional discounts on your merchandise, and many online retailers let you use promotion codes to get additional deals, like free shipping, on your Black Friday order. For example, you can use a Sony promotion code to get up to 50 percent off your merchandise and receive free shipping.
6. Know how many doorbuster deals are available at the store you're planning to visit. Be sure to read the fine print in the ads you see - oftentimes you'll notice that there are only a certain amount of those specific "hot" items. If there are only six laptops on sale for that really low price, it wouldn't make sense to wait in line for an hour behind 20 other people.
7. Expand your online research with social media sites. Many retailers use their Facebook and Twitter pages to let customers know about special deals and promotions. Those in their network may even get additional discounts or bonuses, so it never hurts to add your favorite stores as friends or follow their tweets.
8. Consider shopping online instead of in stores. Many times, you can get the same deals online that you'd get at the store on Black Friday. You may even be able to get deals on Thanksgiving day, before the Black Friday rush hits. Check your favorite stores' websites often to save yourself the hassle of battling crowds and stressful parking lot situations. Plus, you'll be able to use coupon codes with your purchase. With a Macy's promotion code, you can get special discounts and free shipping on $99 orders.
As long as you plan ahead and research your favorite stores, you should be able to score some fabulous deals this Black Friday.
Previous: Classic children's books stand the test of time
Next: How to take the best family portraits this holiday season