Even if you brush twice every day, floss once a day and visit your dentist two times a year, your teeth could still be in bad shape. That's because there are a variety of sneaky things that can damage your smile, including cavities, staining and enamel erosion. Here are a few of the culprits you should avoid.
1. Smoking cigarettes. You probably know this is bad for your health, and it's bad for your teeth too. All that smoke can lead to stains and various problems with your gums. If your teeth aren't as white as they should be, use a Pro White Teeth promotion code for 25 percent off your order.
2. Chewing on hard objects like pens and pencils. This is a habit for many people, but it can wear away or break the enamel on your teeth.
3. Sports drinks. These have high acidic components, according to Real Simple Magazine, so they can easily erode your teeth and wear away enamel. Lots of sugar can also cause tooth decay.
4. White wine. It seems like red wine would be more likely to stain your teeth, but white varieties can too. The acids roughen the surface of your teeth, making them more porous and prone to staining, according to MSNBC.
5. Grinding your teeth. Many people do this without even knowing it. Even if you have healthy teeth, grinding them and clenching your jaw can eventually wear down enamel and cause chips and sensitivity. You might want to use a Walgreens promotion code to save on mouth guards.
6. Lemonade. As it's a combination of sugar and acid, this drink is much more likely to cause you cavities. It might be a better idea to put lemon slices in your water for a fresher taste.
7. Candy. You know candy can cause cavities, so it's important to brush your teeth after you eat even a little bit of it. A snack like yogurt or cheese eaten right afterward can also neutralize acid and promote saliva flow, reports Real Simple Magazine.
8. Hot beverages. Coffee and tea contain ingredients that can stain your teeth just like wine. The tannins involved can stick to your teeth and cause bacteria that could lead to tooth decay. Add milk to your cup to neutralize these acids and consider drinking more water throughout the day.
9. Sodas. These drinks are often full of sugar, and dark sodas can also stain your teeth. Use a straw when you're drinking these beverages, and rinse your mouth with water afterward. Also, check out a GOSMiLE promotion code, which could save you $40 on a teeth whitening system.
10. Not flossing. Flossing is one of the best ways to remove bacteria and debris from in between your teeth, so if you don't do it, you're likely causing yourself problems.
Previous: Super-foods to help your diet
Next: Cleaning solutions for your entire home